On my way to work every morning, I listen to a radio show called John Jay & Rich in the morning. These two particular radio dj's do some wild and crazy stuff, and while most days I shake my head thinking who in the world would do that; the truth is, they definitely wake me up and keep me entertained.
A few weeks ago, I heard them talk about an event they were helping to sponsor called, Fost-a-Heart. It was a fund-raising in conjunction with As You Wish (a pottery painting store). They were encouraging their listeners to go to any local As You Wish Pottery place and for $10.00 individuals could paint a 5x5 "heart" canvas with what ever heart painting they liked. Of the $10 spent on the activity, $8.00 was going directly back to help children in foster care. With more than 15,000 children currently in foster care, in Arizona alone, it is clear there is a true need to help this population.
Not to mention the fact that we have a very near and dear place in our hearts for foster children, foster parents and the foster care system in general. Without them, our hearts would still be empty.
After hearing John Jay and Rich promote this program one morning on my way to work, I was sold. I thought it would be the perfect activity for us to do. So while my sister Megan and Adam were in town, we scheduled it. While Adam and Jarrett went to watch the Hawkeye game, Meg, the kids and I went to paint.
I explained to the boys what we were going and how some of the money we paid to have fun painting was going to help other boys and girls who were in the foster care system. They thought it was a pretty cool thing, as they remember very vividly that portion of their life.
And while we thought it was neat to be able to give back in a small way, the activity was all about having fun. While I told the boys they were suppose to decorate their canvas with a heart, Michael and Isabelle decided to do things their own way. I suppose if you look carefully there is a heart somewhere in their painting. When we were all finished, I have to say I'm very proud of how each of the kids did in creating their masterpiece.
Gabriel's heart is absolutely beautiful and reminds me of his own heart. Full of color, full of life and bursting with love to share with others.
Michael's love of Batman will be forever etched into a painting on our walls. He did a great job painting his masterpiece. I can see why Michael's admiration of Batman is so strong. In someways, they are very similar. They both prefer to do things their own way, have a very strong mind and are in the end only want the best for others and themselves.
And then there's Isabelle's painting. A perfect reflection of her personality. While full of many colors and emotions, she's constantly moving around into everything and spreading her love to everyone she sees.
I'm so proud of my children and who they are growing up to be. While the Fost-A-Heart program was a great way to give back to an organization that gave us so much, it was also a fun day to spend together opening our hearts and sharing our love.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment