Sunday, February 15, 2015

Flag Football...

This winter sports season we signed the boys up for flag football.  Its something they, especially Gabriel, have been begging to do for, well, years.  Thanks to a recommendation from a great friend, we found a league that has a great program.  To us a great program is one that is focused on the kids having fun, being safe (as safe as you can be with football) and doesn't require a ton of time on our end.  I think we found a winner.

The boys are on the same team and practice once a week along with their games only on Saturday mornings.  This league specializes in making sure everyone plays and gets to rotate both on offense and on defense.  It is a beginner group so they are open to common rookie mistakes and show the kids positive feedback in all areas of play.  I am very thankful for that.

The boys seem to be loving football.  They look forward to it everyday, Michael asks if today is a football day every morning.  Unlike Gabriel who's a planner like his mom, and knows what day of week it is an what is going on for the next three days; Michael has never seemed interested in keeping track of what day it is.  He simply goes with the flow and wakes up to ask if he needs to get ready for school of it is a day he can stay home.  While living like that would stress the crap out of me, it seems for him, living like I live, stresses him out.  So we agree to disagree in how we plan our days.

Wow, sorry for that side note.  Anyway back to football.  If it is a day that we can answer yes to Michael's inquiry about it being a football day, he moves with more ambition that we ever see.  And then there's Gabriel who's been counting down the minutes in his sleep til he can wake up (at the very earliest minute possible), get dressed, mouth guard in place, pacing the house ready to leave.  I don't need to say it, but I will anyway, they are only a tiny bit excited about playing football.  And that's even before we get to the field.

While they get to play on both sides of the ball, Gabriel's favorite position to play is quarterback (no surprise), and Michael enjoys playing defensive end (at least I think that's what the position is).  Given the fact that Gabriel has only played one season of flag football and Michael has zero experience playing, I am proud of how they've picked up the sport.

The season has gone by very quickly and next week starts play offs.  If they win, they will play for another week and that's just the perfect amount of time, because spring baseball starts this week and I am only a one sport mom--- meaning Mom can only handle running the kids to one activity at a time.
Here are a few highlights from their winter football season...

Gabriel is number 19 and he's the quarterback kneeling down to get the ball from his center.  I always thought when you kneel down with the ball that was considered the end of play, but they let it go, so I just keep my mouth shut. I'm just a mom, so I don't really know anything anyway.  And if you don't believe me, I have two boys who will tell you that's the truth.  

Michael is number 14 and running an action play on offense.


Here's a shot of Gabriel and Michael both on defense, trying to get the flag from their opponent.


 Above and below are the boys getting ready to go back and run another play.  As I look at these pictures, I'm reminded how tall they've become.  It won't be very long before Gabriel is towering over me.



 Its been really fun to watch the boys play on the same team together.  This is the first time they've been put on the same team.  Its been nice to hear and see them cheer each other on.  It makes me want to put them in the same sports, and on the same team more often; and not only because it is less running for me!
And here's a final video highlight of Gabriel throwing a touchdown pass...


Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment