Tuesday, April 21, 2015

What was that you said?

This afternoon as I was preparing dinner, Gabriel was talking to me about his day.  As I reached over the stove to ground up some hamburger I noticed him taking a look at my belly.

The boys have been VERY curious about this whole pregnancy idea, asking me daily if the baby in my stomach is growing, if "she" (they think or want it to be a girl- just so Isabelle has someone to play with and stops playing with their toys) can hear me or them talking, and just how big my stomach is going to get.

Gabriel was in mid sentence talking about his school day when he said, "Mom, Dad says you're putting on a bit of weight."  Upon the words hitting my ears and the seconds it took for me to comprehend what he said, I turned to Gabriel and must have given him a look of "WHAT, DID YOU JUST SAY?"  Gabriel while completely innocent in sharing his comment, immediately realized what he said must have been not-the-right-thing-to-say because he immediately started backtracking.... "Um, well I mean, um, I mean, um it kind of, just a little bit, not really actually, looks like you might, um, are kind of going to have a baby, maybe."  

I couldn't help but laugh.  Poor kid was digging out of that hole he jumped in as quickly as he could and I don't think he ever meant any insult.  

I think Gabriel made an immediate mental note to never ever say anything about weight to a girl again.  

It was only a few seconds later when I texted Jarrett to say... Guess what Gabriel just told me you said....  
Needless to say, I got a phone call a second after the text was delivered letting me know, Gabriel's translation was nowhere near what Dad actually said.  

I'll mark today's comments down in the file... "Things Women NEVER want to hear!"  

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment