While we have focused on performing 12 acts of kindness for the 12 days Noah was with us, the truth is 12 days isn't actually the truth. In the three months it has been since Noah's body has been gone, I've come to learn this... although Noah's body died on June 25, Noah has never left us.
When that little boy was born into this world, into our lives, and into our hearts, his presence became permanent. His legacy is that of love and kindness. And I've found that while his life here on earth was cut way too short, he gave me, our family, and so many of you, a piece of what he was put on this earth to do. I know his life's purpose was to give love, to serve as a reminder for us at just what a gift life is and to encourage us to put more kindness out into the world.
So while we focused this entire time on 12 acts for the 12 days... I found it only fitting to actually do more... because Noah's presence in our life really didn't end on that very sad day in June, it actually continued. And I believe, his impact in our life is unending.
And so for our surprise act of kindness I share with you, act #13 is a diaper drive benefiting Maggie's Place.
Maggie’s Place is a community that provides houses of hospitality for pregnant and parenting women in need who are living in the greater Phoenix, AZ and Cleveland, OH area.
A little history about Maggie's Place...
Maggie’s Place began with five young women who had the courage and determination to take on the founding of a non-profit, the creation of a community, and the establishment of a home. As word spread, caring and generous individuals stepped forward to provide assistance. After eighteen months of planning, Maggie’s Place opened its doors to the first group of pregnant women on Mother’s Day 2000. Over a decade later, Maggie’s Place operates 4 homes and has helped over 600 women.
Maggie's Place is a great organization and one that can use our help.
What is even more special to us about this act of kindness is that the diaper drive efforts are being led by the wonderful school community our boys belong to.
![]() |
| Michael's friend Bella and Kylie sharing information about the diaper drive for Noah's Kindness Project on the school's morning announcements. |
When the boys first found out about Noah they couldn't wait race to school the next morning and share the news with their teachers, their friends, everyone they could tell at school. The response was excitement and celebration from all. This summer when everything started happening and Noah was born so early, the boys were in a summer program at our school and the support they received was the same... unwavering. The boys' teachers came to see Jarrett and I at the hospital, and offered support in what ever way they could.
In seeing just how much our boys, our family was cared for by those in the Mirada community, Jarrett and I, in that small hospital room, talked about just how thankful we are to belong to such a wonderful school. And then this school year started and in talking about Noah's Kindness Project the boys asked if they could do something with the school to honor their brother. They proposed an idea to their teachers and through Gabriel's efforts in being a part of Student Council, the school has taken the lead on organizing this cause.
I've watched in awe as the entire school community has rallied behind this effort and I can't wait to see the results. I fully realize that not everyone may find the same level of support from the school their children attend and just how lucky we are to be a part of a community that does.
And so, for our final act of kindness for Noah's Kindness Project 2013 is a diaper drive and we ask you to help us participate...if you'd like to contribute to the diaper drive benefiting Maggie's Place, please drop diapers off to our house next week (September 28-October 1). We will then make sure your donation is added to the efforts collected by the school and handed over to Maggie's Place.
Last weekend, the boys and I talked about the diaper drive and everything their school is doing to help promote it. As we talked Michael said, "Mom, doing stuff to help others in Noah's memory makes me feel happy and takes away some of the sadness that he died."
I cried. And then I realized just what a gift so many of you, including the Mirada community, have given to us. What so many of you have given to us as you express an interest in volunteering, in joining us that day or doing an act on your own...participating in Noah's Kindness Project continues to help our family in ways words can't adequately convey. Thank you.
Michael is right... Losing Noah makes us feel great sadness and we will never stop missing him. However, because of so many of you, we are happy. As more love and kindness fill this world, we smile... we give thanks. We are thankful to God that Noah came into our lives... and that he's always going to be with us.
Until next time,
Angie


How lovely! Your children are such wonderful little people.
ReplyDelete