Friday, March 18, 2016

St. Patricks Day

When I was a kid St. Patrick's day was simply a day we wore green and tried to find someone who didn't so we could pinch them.  While I don't remember actually pinching anyone or one particular year of what I wore, there is one memory I have that makes me look back on this holiday and smile.  I was in high school and happened to have a dentist appointment in Sumner, a town about 25 miles away from my hometown where our dentist office was.  Sumner was my mom's hometown and for some reason we always went to the dentist there even though, we have several to choose from in the small town we lived in.  Looking back now, I wonder if the reason why we never switch dentists was because the town of Sumner had an amazing bakery and no dentist visit was complete without a token stop at the bakery following our bi-annual cleaning.  Yep, I'm pretty sure that's why we drove 25 minutes to the dentist.

This particular year I was a junior in high school and could drive myself to the dentist.  That day on my way home, I decided to stop off at my grandma and grandpa's house as it was on the way home.  As I walked into my grandparents house, my grandpa was still at work and I hadn't told my grandma I was coming, so I surprised her as I walked in to her house shouting her name.  She was in the kitchen with the radio playing in the background and she was busy working on preparing supper for my grandpa and her.  As I made my way to the kitchen, the first thing I saw was a beautiful bouquet of white flowers with beautiful greenery around them.  I assumed right away they were from my grandpa and I quickly sorted through the files in my brain to figure out what special birthday, anniversary, holiday I had missed and forgotten to celebrate with them.  I said to my grandma, those are such beautiful flowers, what's the occasion grandpa got those for you?"  Grandma smiled and said, "Take a look at the card."  I walked over to the side of the counter reached across to read the card and quickly saw that the gift of flowers wasn't from Grandpa (although he often got her flowers), this time the flowers were from my dad.  I don't remember what the card said exactly, but it was something to the point of celebrating my grandma's Irish heritage and wishing her a very happy St. Patrick's day."  I, being very surprised to see that the flowers were from my dad and that he sent them to her for St. Patrick's day, turned to my grandma and said, "Wow, they are from my dad?" Staring straight at Grandma I saw her eyes had filled with water.  She wiped a tear away and tried to get the words out of her mouth.  "Isn't that so nice dear?"  She always called me dear, her term of affection.  I walked over and hugged her and said, "Happy St. Patrick's Day."  I then pulled away, smiled and said, "Guess Dad earned some major bonus points today huh?"  Grandma smiled and said, it sure made my day.

I've never forgotten about that bouquet of flowers and the powerful impact it made on my grandma.  I told my dad that night when I saw him, that him sending Grandma those flowers really meant a lot to her, but I don't know if he really knows just how much they meant.  I've thought many times about that gesture of kindness and how it not only was important to her but how it has stuck with me.  It made me realize that sometimes the smallest gesture, can have a far reaching impact.

Tuesday morning on our way to school, Michael said, "Mom, isn't tomorrow the leprechaun day?"  I said, "Yep, tomorrow is St. Patrick's day."  Michael's eyes lit up and he said, "Great I'm going to make a trap to catch St. Patrick when he brings us the money."

Almost six years ago when the boys came home, we made a huge deal out of every holiday.  St. Patrick's day being one of them.  That first year, the leprechaun brought the boys a four leaf clover, a poem about the holiday, as well as some "gold" from his stash.  The little leprechaun must have snuck into their bedroom through the window as the trail of coins went down from their window blinds to the floor and all around their room.  Every year since St. Patrick has returned leaving them a little portion of the pot of gold he possess.

This year, while Michael forgot to make his trap for St. Patrick, he was pushing his luck in  all things magical, as right before bed, Michael pulled out one of his teeth.  So not only did St. Patrick have to find a way to sneak into his room, but the tooth fairy had to find her way in as well.

Yesterday morning when Michael and Gabriel woke up they found much to their happiness that indeed both the tooth fairy and St. Patrick the leprechaun had made their way into their room (and outside) to leave a little treat.

This year St. Patrick must have come through Isabelle's window.  We found the trail of money started from her window, through the baby's crib, onto the floor through their room and out into the hallway outside of the boy's room.

And once out into the hallway, the money trail stopped outside of the boys' room.  Perhaps St. Patrick couldn't reach the door knob to open their door.  Or he was too lazy to risk waking the boys up by going into their room after the tooth fairy had made her appearance.  Either excuse, the boys didn't seem to mind when they woke up the next morning, and raced around collecting their loot so fast, even Mom couldn't snap a picture fast enough 

Isabelle had stayed at Nana and Papa's house the night before so she didn't get to pick up her gifts until she came home yesterday.  She wasn't sure what a leprechaun was so I showed her on my phone.  She now calls him the little green guy who left her money.  She seems to be a fan too!


Who would have thought 5 years ago when we celebrated our first St. Patrick with the boys, that St. Patrick would have left such a lasting impression.  Having our little leprechaun friend visit each year has been something the boys have remembered and reminded us of each March since.  While I'll not know until the kids are grown and gone, I hope this holiday becomes a memory that my kids look back on and remember with joy and happiness from their youth.  Its a small little tradition that obviously has come to mean a lot to them; and if I really think about it, some of my favorite memories from my childhood are from activities that we did as kids that became a tradition.

So here's to St. Patrick's Day, what ever that day looks like to you.
For us its the visiting, coin dropping leprechaun that brings smiles.  For my grandma it was the flowers shared in honor of her Irish heritage.  What ever this special day brings, its clear, St. Patrick's Day is a tradition sure to stick around.

Before signing off, I found this Irish blessing yesterday that made me smile.  I share with all those who read this and hope this blessing is true for you....

Wishing you a rainbow of sunlight after showers-
Miles and miles of Irish smiles, for golden happy hours
Shamrocks at your doorway, for luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Until next time,
Angie




No comments:

Post a Comment