On March 23, I officially have two kiddos in double digits! I can’t even believe the little 3 year old boy who came to me with dimples in his hands, cheeks from ear to ear and an appetite of a 10 year old, is now actually 10.
Throughout our times of foraging through the bumps in our life, Michael is always one in the end to think more about others before himself. Like yesterday after work, I was carrying in Madelyn, about 4 bags and had three other things in my hands I was about to drop. While the others ran ahead, Michael stopped and said, “Mom, what can I carry, reached out to grab some stuff and then ran ahead to open the door for me. Just one example of many things he does thinking of others first.
Yes our Michael is moving onto his second decade of life and I can hardly believe he’s grown up so much- right in front of my eyes. The boy with such wonder of how things work, why things are the way they are, and curiosity that never stops… yes he’s still the same, just in a much bigger version.
To celebrate Michael turning 10 we celebrated with him on our vacation of a lifetime- I say that because we will probably never experience a vacation as elaborate as that with the kiddos still home. The cruise was his gift and he made sure we didn’t forget it.
In my office at my work, I have the first pictures of the boys that were shared with Jarrett and I at the red file meeting back in May of 2010.
| Sorry, can't get it to turn the right way- The first picture we saw of the boys. |
Those pictures I look at each morning and smile thinking, as crazy as they make me, my life wouldn’t be complete without them. I’ll never forget the emotional response I had upon seeing their beautiful faces and to this day, when I look at those pictures, my heart rate increases as I feel love and the emotions I experienced back them, come rushing back. Michael’s innocent, yet life-experienced beautiful green eyes stare into the picture with a smile so wide his upper lip can’t curve. Such a cute little bugger (as my grandma would have said), he’s changed so much, but the smile still the same and his eyes still as beautiful.
| Oh my heart... how can he be so grown up? |
| He still had his baby cheeks. |
Of all my living children, Michael has taught me the most about being a mom, about patience, forgiveness and about trying to understand more. It’s not a surprise, he’s been our biggest challenge- he after all is most like me in his stubbornness and determination to keep talking til he wins the argument. After the dust settles and we come back to the center, I always tell him he’ll make a great debater or attorney someday. He’s not one to quit and I think that will take him far in life.
| Michael at the NCAA Experience in March |
| Getting ready to slam dunk a ball! |
Or how he tries to be so sneaky in asking what size shoe I wear and what is my favorite style, so he can use his hard earned saved money to buy me a new pair of shoes. When I asked him why he said, "Mom you haven't gotten new shoes in a long time, you deserve them." Makes me cry just typing this.
Of the many reason I am so proud of him, this year I am soooo soo so proud of how well he’s done in school. He has a great teacher who challenges him, holds him accountable and encourages him to always take his performance to the next level. That is what motivates and drives Michael and he’s had his greatest year so far. He has excelled academically, socially is engaged in good relationships amongst his peers and tries his best to appease his teacher. While he still needs help in keeping himself organized, -he may or may not have lost his daily agenda for a month (he recently found it again and had it signed for over a week straight), he has done such a great job, I am so proud. He also recently participated in his grade science project fair and of over 100 science projects judged by engineers from GE, his project on sleep deprivation was one of only 10 projects to receive recognition and an award.
Michael we wish you a very happy birthday! It was sure fun to celebrate with you on our vacation. It will a trip I’ll never forget. I love you always Michael. While you may no longer be the toddler boy with the dimples in your hand, you’ll always be my little boy.
Of the many reason I am so proud of him, this year I am soooo soo so proud of how well he’s done in school. He has a great teacher who challenges him, holds him accountable and encourages him to always take his performance to the next level. That is what motivates and drives Michael and he’s had his greatest year so far. He has excelled academically, socially is engaged in good relationships amongst his peers and tries his best to appease his teacher. While he still needs help in keeping himself organized, -he may or may not have lost his daily agenda for a month (he recently found it again and had it signed for over a week straight), he has done such a great job, I am so proud. He also recently participated in his grade science project fair and of over 100 science projects judged by engineers from GE, his project on sleep deprivation was one of only 10 projects to receive recognition and an award.
| Michael's' State of Arizona float project, which he received an award on. |
| The kid loves to learn... here at the ASU Night of the Open Door here he is learning how to dress a wound. |
Michael has been participating in baseball this spring and after taking a two year break has been doing a nice job reconnecting with the sport. It has been so fun to watch him play again. Michael is an excellent big brother and such a great help with Madelyn. He watches and protects her in all cases and would do anything he could to make her smile. I often hear him telling her how much he loves her.
Michael is truly a gift to our family and loving in ways I never knew I’d get to experience. We have watched Michael grow, change and mature so much in this past year and a half it makes me wonder what the next few years have in store.
With knowing I only get to have Michael around for another 8 years before I have to let him go expand his wings, I try to tell myself to cherish the moments. I know they will go by too quickly. The first 7 together have most definitely. As Michael begins his 10th year, I want him always to know just how much his dad and I love him. How we push him to always do his best, demand that he does things with quality and to always do more than is expected, because we know it will help him in the long run. I hope Michael knows just how proud we are of him, how confident we are that he will achieve anything he sets his mind to and how we are always there to support.
Michael we wish you a very happy birthday! It was sure fun to celebrate with you on our vacation. It will a trip I’ll never forget. I love you always Michael. While you may no longer be the toddler boy with the dimples in your hand, you’ll always be my little boy.
Love you always,
Mom and Dad

No comments:
Post a Comment