Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Swing Batter Batter, Batter...

We are in the midst of baseball season and this year we have three players.  One in t-ball, one in minors and one in majors.  

From learning the very basics of how to actually swing a bat and run to first base, to fielding pop flies and hitting off pitches coming in at 60MPH, there is a vast degree of difference in watching each of the kids’ games.  In addition to having three players, dad decided he would be an assistant coach on Isabelle and Gabriel’s teams, probably would have said yes to Michael’s too but Mom said, two’s enough.  To say it’s been a busy spring, along with moving, is a big understatement.  It has been crazy and we joke about just setting up a tent at the fields, but some nights, it’s more of a statement than a joke.  

Madelyn has a "uniform" per say too.  Actually it was her big brother Noah's baseball onesie he never got to wear.  Noah was our fourth child, so we got him this onesie to wear.  Thankfully this year, Michael is number 4 too, so it works perfectly- except now Madelyn has outgrown the outfit!

The kids hearing from the pitching coach from the World Series Champion Chicago Cubs.  He talked about the value of hard work, about putting others before oneself and about how the kids should offer to do things to help their parents without asking.  Personally, I thought it was a PERFECT speech!

Thankfully we’ve had several nights when at least two and even all three play  in one night.  That means 5 hours of baseball but at least it’s all in one trip! Honestly though, as much as I complain about it being crazy, it is so much fun!  I love seeing Isabelle hit the ball and be one of six or seven other players chase after the ball when the other team hits it.  Coach Brendan is constantly telling her, “Isabelle, stand here, stay in your position”  And I’ll never let Isabelle forget her first game.  It was the bottom of the 2nd inning and their team was in the outfield.  Isabelle was playing right field and I was sitting along the left field (close to third base).  While another person was up to bat, Isabelle started yelling across the field, “MOM, MOM MOM!”  I thought she just wanted me to know where she was in the field so I waved back and smiled.  Now making a huge scene as she continued to yell mom, every other player on her team is now looking at her, while the little other player swung at the ball on the t.  As I waived, Isabelle realized she had my attention, then cupped her hands around her mouth and yelled, “MOM- I NEED A LUNCH BREAK!”  Seriously it was the 2nd inning.  All I could do was laugh as the game stopped, she finished shouting and Coach Dad walked over to her and told her she’d have to wait.  While some of our kiddos are super competitive when it comes to sports, some just play for the snacks.  I’ll let you decide what kind of a player Isabelle is. 

Isabelle and her buddy Mathew!


Isabelle with Coach Brendan who is a perfect coach.  He has the patience of a saint, the ability to teach the fundamentals of baseball better than anyone else I've seen, and he's all fun, which the kids LOVE!

Then there is Michael- playing for his first time in minors and the first time in 2 years.  He took a break and while I think he didn’t regret it at the time, I think now he wishes he may have had that two years of additional practice under his belt.  We are so proud of him as he’s excited to play each game.  He is a great fielder and plays third base most games.  He also got the chance to pitch a few times and really likes the challenge.  His team works very hard, practices a lot and with some additional batting time and confidence in hitting off of fast pitchers, I think he would grow to love it even more.  It will be fun to watch his team as the season continues, they could be great contenders for a trophy.




And Gabriel, he’s our natural athlete, he’s lucky.  Sports come very easy for him.  I was a bit worried about how he’d so this season given he’s playing with much older kids, many who are on club teams and who play year round.  Gabriel is a natural leader on his team and while he’s one of the younger kids, his teammates look to him to motivate the team.  Gabriel has been playing catcher most of the season, he seems to enjoy it.  Although as his mom, I worry about his knees.  Just last week he had three games and coach wanted him to catch almost the entire game, all week.  Before Gabriel’s third game of the week he was complaining about knee pain and walking to favor it.  He said it hurt really bad when he had to help me with chores and yet when I told him I was going to talk to the coach and ask him not to let him catch Gabriel said, “Oh it will be fine mom, it doesn’t hurt when I’m playing.”  Again, I’ll let you decide who is the competitive player in our family.  I had Jarrett talk to the coach to not have him catch, so he played shortstop and pitched and he didn’t complain about any more leg pain.  With him growing so quickly, I just don’t want him to damage any parts of his body too young.  He’s gonna need those knees for other things in the future- like playing catch with his own son or daughter someday (I hope).


And then there’s the kid’s biggest cheerleader- Madelyn.  She goes along to the games, and is already picking up the game.  She claps when other people cheer and she likes sitting close to the fence and watches the kids bat.  I have a feeling she’s going to be a player too, she already likes to play with her toy balls and can throw them.  How fun would it be to have all 4 kiddos in sports?  Jarrett and I really enjoy athletics and while my parents and sisters think we are crazy to keep the schedules we do, it is so fun and I would miss watching the kids.  I think sports teaches one so many things from discipline, to goal setting, working on a team and building self-confidence.  All good qualities they are going to need and use in their future. 


After three games and sitting in the sun for 5 hours its a bit exhausting.  Even the best cheerleaders have to take a rest sometimes right?

So it’s back to the baseball fields for another game tonight.  Quick eat dinner, find your uniform and fill up your water bottle.  Here we go again.  Go Stingrays (Belle’s team), go Revolution (Michael’s team) and go Sandstorm (Gabriel’s team).

For it’s one, two, three strikes you’re out at the old ball game!

Until next time,
Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment