Thursday, August 31, 2017

Shut it down…

One of the great friends I met since moving here, Sarah (who to our loss moved back to the Midwest to be closer to family) and I use to talk about how when life got too crazy, (she’s a momma with 4 kiddos at home too) that she’d gather the troops together and let them know she was “shutting it down.”  I smiled the first time she talked about it as I wasn’t sure what she meant.  She explained that when their life got too crazy, people started getting angry and the stress levels were rising higher than they’d like, she’d call her family together and tell them it was time to shut down the stress, shut down the chaos, to shut down the daily life stressors that fill most moments of our life.  Just like shutting down a car at the end of the day, you drive it in the garage, turn it off, take the keys, lock the door and let it rest.  Sarah just shut down the stressors her family faced like we shut down our car.  I have thought of Sarah’s analogy so many times since our original conversation and there’s been many times we’ve done similar things and I write this tonight with the hope that this weekend we can just shut it down.

Lately our lives have been so chaotic, and I fully admit we do it to ourselves, but I honestly can’t tell anymore if we are coming or going.  Actually I think we are coming and going at the same time.  Do you ever feel like you’re racing around trying to get so much done that you’re really not getting anything done?  This is where we’ve been lately. 

The kids are busy.  Now that we are back to school, its early mornings, busy evenings, late nights and the cycle keeps on repeating itself.  Gabriel’s middle school schedule is so busy, I feel like we hardly see him anymore… I guess its just the start of this new phase of life.  He is loving it.  He has cross country practice at 6:30 each morning followed by school, homework and then 5 out of the 7 days of the week he and Michael are playing fall ball.  Thankfully he’s been doing a great job managing it all and is stepping up to the plate (like that baseball reference?) and following through.  I have to remind myself he is only 11 and the things he’s able to keep track of are pretty amazing- lunch, change of clothes, changes for gym clothes, homework, snacks, 2nd breakfast, and any other random note, form or paper he has to return each day.  There’s only been one call (so far) that he’s forgotten something important, for almost being in school a month, I’ll give him a pat on the back for that.  Especially since I forget my lunch most days.   Oh and I’m not even going to start about how much he’s changed since he started middle school.  I’ll just leave it here that last week he went to his first middle school dance and through the grape vine I learned he has two handfuls of girls “talking” to him.  He came home with a ponytail holder on his wrist.  When I asked him why he was wearing one of Isabelle’s ponytail holders he said, “Mom, this is NOT Isabelle’s.”   Later Michael (thankfully he’s my secret spy into teenage boy world) told me it was from a girl.  Who knew, gifting ponytail holders were the new way of saying you liked someone.  Watch out friends, my Christmas shopping just got a lot easier!

A few shots from today's cross country meet where Gabriel ran against fellow 6th graders and 7th and 8th graders.  He did well especially since it was 112 according to my car when I pulled up to the school to watch him.



Then there’s Michael who loves 5th grade but finds the extra jump in homework a bummer… I keep telling him he should be used to it.  It wasn’t like he didn’t have homework before, its just this time it’s his teacher and not mom giving the extra work.  He’s liking playing baseball on the same team as Gabriel and LOVES their new coach.  This coach is amazing, patient, caring and so knowledgeable.  Isabelle LOVES kindergarten, and I mean she LOVES her teacher.  She loved Ms. Stacey her preschool teacher and as much as she loved her, she loves Ms. Knowlton even more.  Everyday and I mean EVERY SINGLE DAY after school, Isabelle comes home and makes a note for her teacher.  She draws her pictures, writes her name and how much she loves her.  She sneaks “goodie bags” in her backpack (even after I’ve checked it) with treats for her teacher in there.  And it’s’ funny, just last night at the dinner table she said, “Mom, guess what?”  to which I responded, “What Isabelle?”  Isabelle said, “Mom, I love, love love…” and thinking she was going to say me she instead paused with this endearing look in her eyes and said, Mom, I LOVE Mrs. Knowlton SO much!”  There went the wind from my sail.  But in all seriousness, I’m so happy she’s found a teacher who she loves.  Her teacher reminds me of my kindergarten teacher Mrs. Schneaburger, who was like a kind grandma and gave warm hugs and loved us from day one.  Mrs. Knowlton is very much that and more. 

And Madelyn.  Poor Madelyn.  Her start of the school year hasn’t been as much fun.  Madelyn started daycare two weeks ago and has been sicker than sick ever since.  I knew this was in the mail, it’s just the process of being exposed to all the new germs and more, but darn does it suck. She literally has been snotty nosed, coughing, ear infected, under the weather baby since the 12th.  I feel so bad for her.  She’s never been clingy and now she won’t even let me put her down to change her diaper.  She just feels miserable and lays her head on my shoulder as if to say, “Mommy take it all away.”  It takes almost everything in me to take her to daycare each morning, as they peal her away from me.  She cries, gives the big bottom lip and begs for me to take her.  I hate it.  I hate every minute of it, and yet I remember doing the same thing with Gabriel, Michael and Isabelle.  It’s so much better to have Isabelle’s situation of almost loving her teacher too much.  Thankfully our wonderful friend and pre-k teacher Ms. Stacey is checking in on her and Madelyn loves her.  

One of the first visits to the doctor...  this time  for both girls! 

Different day, same doctors office, another diagnosis.

Just  this week, Madelyn and I spent the night in the hospital.  Sickness go away!

I just pray Madelyn can get better.  She’s been so congested lately that it’s affecting her breathing. In fact 2 nights ago we were in the emergency room as she was having see-saw breathing and it scared us!  

They were able to suction her out a couple of times and give her a medication to help with the swelling in her respiratory airway but in the end they said we just have to give it time to let her body overcome the virus.  Today we went BACK to the doctor as she isn't getting any better to find today's diagnosis... ear infection and hand and mouth virus.  Fun fun.  Seriously it isn't and I just want my baby to get better.  


And onto of that with all the kids, Jarrett’s work has been CRAZY busy, my season of work is in full swing and we are still living out of boxes.  I decided to take a class this fall and  we took possession of our new home last Friday, only to start the long remodeling process on Friday afternoon.  Oh  and the fun thing I left out, was/is planning for  Noah's Kindness Project! More information to come on that VERY soon!

So  this  weekend, while many people are taking the long weekend to go do something fun, I think we are  going to "shut it down" instead.  I think a low key weekend (besides the baseball  tournament  the boys are in), of movies, swimming, early to bed, late to rise, is just  what the doctor ordered... along  with  the second tier antibiotics and a return visit next week.  :-)

Wishing you all a safe, relaxing and fun Labor Day.

Until next time,
Angie 

No comments:

Post a Comment