Thursday, May 27, 2010

A big Ouwie...

Today I learned that Mothers really do feel their child's pain. This morning the boys got to spend some quality time alone with their Daddy. We think it is important for them to have quality time with each of us alone so that they can grow to connect and love each of us equally (and secretly I want to share the "potty" time calls with Daddy too!)

The boys had an adventurous morning I understand. They got up, ate Cheerios, got dressed, brushed their teeth and headed to the park. When I got home they had just finished up eating an early lunch so they could retire to their room for nap time. Dad did a great job and it seemed the plan was going just as we had hoped until Michael announced as I walked through the door...

"Mommy I got a big ouwie and it hurts really bad." As he bent in a way that only Mr. Gadget and his go-go-gadget arms and legs can, he maneuvered his body around to show me a big swollen red spot right at the top of his little thigh. Yes it did look like a big ouwie! Not sure exactly what I was looking at my first response was, "Should Mommy call the doctor?" and Michael, who has not been to excited to visit the doctor most recently, immediately replied, "Oh yes Mommy, it really hurts"

So our quiet afternoon of napping instead turned in to a trip to the lovely Dr.'s office where they explained to me he has caught some sort of bacteria and the only way to relieve the puffiness and hurt was to "slice it open and drain the infection." And to end the conversation the doctor said, "He will not like me at the end of this visit". This is a note to all future moms, when you hear those words out of your pediatrician's mouth, BEWARE! That means it is going to hurt your little one, ALOT.

As she explained to me what they were going to have to do, she said, and mom, don't worry, he'll get over it right away but it might take you a little while. She said, we'll hold him down but we need you at his head to talk to him and distract him and we need you to stay strong okay? Again future mom's, CAUTION, this is your warning.

Okay, so I gathered my courage and said to myself, I can do this. I told Gabriel he needed to be really good and sit on the bench (in the same room), read a book and not to watch. The procedure began and as soon as they touched the spot Michael let out a painful scream. I tried to distract him with talk about trucks, frogs, Batman, Spiderman, X-man. I was even making up names of superheros, but nothing seemed to work. He continued screaming, crying and reaching out for me to rescue him from these terrible doctors that seemed to be torturing him. A few minutes into the procedure Michael started to get a nose-bleed, which I now understand can be caused by a significant amount of pain in little ones. So, as I'm trying to calm him down, hold pressure on his nose and stop blood from going everywhere, which at this point is all over my arms and t-shirt, my heart is absolutely splitting into pieces and I'm trying to fight back tears. Gabriel, the little angel that he can be, climbed up onto the doctor's counter to get a whole box of Kleenex and brought them to me. He said, "Here Mom, please help Michael." Yes, still fighting back the tears.

After what seemed to be a half hour but was actually only about 5 minutes, the nurses released some of the pressure they had on his back and legs and at last the worst was over. We get to go back tomorrow for more "draining of the infection" fun that we had today, but at least the incisions are over and I pray the majority of the pain.

When Jarrett was sick and going through Chemotherapy I remember praying that I could take away some of his pain and that I'd do anything to switch places with him. As my best friend in life, I knew the love I have for him would go to the end of the earth and back. I remember thinking that I didn't know if I could love anyone as much as I love him. I now know that I can and I do.

I'd do anything and everything if I could make sure these little boys never have to feel pain or any more big ouwie's for the rest of their lives or as Gabriel would say, Mom, you mean forever, forever, forever right?"

Angie

1 comment:

  1. Wiping tears from my eyes as I read this! Even more profound because I had my own visit to the doctor's this week with my niece. She was fine until the doctor wanted to look in her ears and throat and then it was if she was being physically harmed! It was an enlightening experience for me!

    ReplyDelete