In the last few days Michael has found it intriguing, interesting, funny, or amusing to ask me over and over and over, "Mommy, what are you doing?" Yesterday I was putting in a load of wash when he asked, "Mommy, what are you doing?" Laundry, honey. Two minutes later, "Mommy, what are you doing?" Walking to the kitchen honey. Twenty seconds later, "Mommy, what are you doing?" I don't know Michael, what are YOU doing?
I'm guessing you get my point. The question, "Mommy, what are you doing?" has become so frequent, it has even entered into my dreams. Last night, I had a dream that I was back in high school and for some reason everyone was harassing me by asking me over and over, "What are you doing?"
Last week, when we were on one of our multiple visits to the pediatricians office, I asked her if it was normal for kids this age, especially Michael's age, to ask the same question over and over. I guess it must have been a silly question to ask because she just looked at me for a moment to see if I was serious, giggled and then said, most definitely. Good to know.
So this afternoon , when we were getting out of the pool to change clothes, Michael began to speak and by the tone in his voice I could tell he was just about to ask me a question, the question. He said Mommy (pause), and as I was just about to open my mouth to say, Michael I'm helping you get dressed, he softly said, "I love you."
In his little, high-pitched, mousy voice, I could tell instantly that he meant every word he was saying. I've learned these little boys can catch you off guard. Just when you think they've shown you every bit of their preciousness, they go and do something that makes you fall in love with them all over again.
I'm sure as I finish writing this and go out to check on them watching some Scooby Doo, Michael's first words out of his mouth will be, "Mommy, what are you doing?" I've found a new answer to the never ending question.
Michael, I'm loving you, that's what I'm doing.
Angie
Great answer to a (sometimes) annoying question!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you shared the story about your pediatrician so I don't have to feel like a dork too! Tino has an appt on Friday and Dave is compiling a list of questions for me to ask, and just today he added to the list, "Is it normal for him to constantly repeat the same things over and over?" LOL
Note to self--always keep a box of tissues close when reading Angie's posts.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing all you're learning!