Let me see, I know I’ve been dragging my feet and haven’t blogged lately. I promise it isn’t because there isn’t much to talk about. It is actually because there is too much to blog about. I’m not exactly sure where to start, in describing just how wonderful this Christmas was.
Christmas has and I believe will always be a special holiday, it is actually my favorite. Most years, Jarrett has to hold me back from putting up the Christmas tree and all of the decorations in the middle of November. Yes, I’m one of those people who sometimes skips over the excitement of Thanksgiving.
Before having children, I would dream of what Christmas would be like when that one day did come and we’d have children to share in the magic and joy of the season. I’d dream of what it would be like to wake up on Christmas morning to the shouts of little ones screaming, “Santa came, Santa came!!!!” and how much fun it would be to make sugar cookies and have the kids decorate them with tons and tons of sprinkles. Oh and looking at the lights, singing Christmas songs, going to Christmas eve service. I dreamed of all of it. Before this year, all of that was just a dream.
I know I’ve said before, I’ve even claimed to have shouted it from the mountaintops, but I just have to say it again; I am truly blessed! I find it difficult to actually put into words just how wonderful this Christmas was/is. I’ll do my best to recount what we did each day just so I can relive in the memories for many years to come.
Last week I was fortunate enough to have off of work, so the boys and I spent a lot of quality time hanging out. After the baking extravaganza, and the sleep over with the cousins, I really can’t tell you that we did that much. Our days together were filled with sleeping in until 7:15 a.m.! It was wonderful! I don’t know if was the excitement of the holiday or what, but the boys were sleeping in and I totally soaked it up! We’d get up, spend some time in the morning playing and doing things we normally don’t get to do because we are too busy racing out of the house. We went to the park and played, went on walks to see Christmas lights, watched Elf, Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus is coming to Town, Home Alone, The Little Drummer Boy and any other Christmas movie we could find before bedtime each night.
Every morning the boys would get up Gabriel would ask, “Mom, tonight is the night Santa comes!” and then I proceeded to correct him with saying exactly how many days it was until the big night. On Christmas Eve morning when the boys got up, Gabriel raced to the living room where we have the tree set up and sat quietly in front of it. I was busy, trying to assist Michael, open the dog door for Jack, and get the morning routine underway, when I noticed that Gabriel had been quietly sitting facing the tree for almost 5 minutes and hadn’t moved or said a word. After passing by him several times, I stopped and said, “Honey, what are you doing?” and at that point Gabriel turned around. With a face of pure disappointment he said, “Mom, Santa forgot about Michael and I again this year.” Just as he was about to start crying, I stopped him and said, “Oh no, he didn’t Gabriel, honey, you are a day early. Santa comes tonight” Instantly, he’s watery eyes cleared up and he ran to give me a hug. “Oh I’m so excited Mom!” he said. Seeing him look so defeated and concerned that he thought he had been missed again, made my heart ache.
There were several times throughout the week when I thought of what past Christmas’s must have been like for the boys and I secretly wondered if any part of them missed their birth mom. I also thought of her. I’m sure last week was difficult for her and to not be able to see or even know where her birth children are during Christmas, it just has to be plain heart-wrenching. I feel for her and I pray that someplace in her heart, she has faith and knows that our (hers and ours) boys are healthy, happy and thriving.
I find myself wanting to give the boys everything they have missed out on the past 3 and 5 years of their lives. Although it makes me sad to know that they’ve missed out on several years of happy Christmas’s, when I looked at their eyes last week and see how full their hearts are, I’m convinced they feel as lucky and as blessed as I do.
So enough of me getting all emotional. Here’s a recap of the stuff that is more interesting… on Christmas Eve we celebrated with my Aunt, Uncle and Cousins. The boys LOVE the Petersens, not only because they spoil them but because the boys love being around them. We had dinner together and then opened gifts. Earlier in the week the Petersen girls had taken the boys to Build a Bear workshop where Michael brought home a Frosty the Snowman, dressed up as Santa Claus and Gabriel brought home an camouflage Army bear (who he’s convinced is a super hero bear) who also had a Santa suit on. It was a fun experience for the boys and I thank the Petersen’s for taking on that adventure. I was afraid to enter that story with two little boys. In addition to the bears the boys got Star Wars Light Sabers, farm animals (to practice when they go visit Ava, Jordan and Kelly back on the farm in Iowa), a Soccer ball, a fire truck, a police motor cycle, a helicopter and more. I know, they hit the mother lode.
That evening we went to church and then returned home to open the gifts we had for each other. We gave Gabriel a new glove and ball to play baseball and Michael a race car set. The boys loved their gifts and thanked us each about 20 times. Then we went to bed, because we heard from Grandpa Chip and Grandpa Darlene that Santa had been in Iowa and was headed to Arizona. I’ve never seen the boys jump into bed so quickly.
On Christmas morning I expected the boys to wake up before the sun came up but to our surprise Jarrett and I were up first and we had to wake up the boys. We walked into the boy’s room and said good morning. At first no one really moved and then we announced that we had just heard sleigh bells and that we thought Santa had just left. They both popped right up, jumped out of bed and raced to the living room. I did my best to record their reaction and it they did exactly what I had dreamt about for many years. Their eyes were lit up and smiles from ear to ear as they looked at the living room full of presents. Although I’m confident it took Santa several hours, and maybe even an entire day of wrapping all of the gifts, it only took about 10 minutes to tear through everything.
Gabriel received his fire truck, a Ruldolf the Red Nose Reindeer toy, clothes, some books and a stocking full of toothpaste, floss and candy. Michael’s wish list was also fulfilled as he got his batman bike, some super hero costumes, books and a stocking full of the same. It was truly magical to watch them celebrate their first visit from Santa.
Being so excited about his new bike Gabriel and Michael insisted on going out right away, despite the cold-for-Arizona temperatures. Although Michael’s bike looked like it was assembled correctly, unfortunately Michael’s one pedal kept falling off After the third time of putting the pedal back on Michael said, “Mom, I think a bad elf put my bike together.” . It must have been Santa’s helper Elf’s first time putting together a bike (hint hint). Good thing Daddy had the tools we needed to fix what Santa’s helper elf didn’t get right.
It was a great morning together. On Christmas afternoon we went to Nana and Papa’s house where the fun continued. We had a wonderful meal, opened presents and played some games. It was a day full of lots of fun and it was so nice to have Jarrett’s entire family together. Even though our Christmas gift from Nana and Papa was the trip to the Polar Express, it seems the boys and us still came up with a car full of gifts. They spoil us too!
That evening we came home and were able to Skype with my entire family who were up at the Mayo clinic visiting my sister MaeLyn’s boyfriend Aaron, who is slowly recovering from his major accident. It was wonderful to finally see him and despite his significant injuries he has an amazing outlook on life and we continue to believe he will make a full recovery. We send you our love and prayers Aaron. While we Skyped with my family, the boys were able to open one last present from their Uncle Jonas. Jonas is on the fire department for our hometown and the boys thought it was soo cool last summer when we visited Iowa that they got to see the fire trucks and put on the fire suits including the hat. For Christmas Jonas got the boys their very own real fire helmets and personalized them. Words cannot do them justice. I promise to post pictures soon!
So now after this very lengthily post, I think it is clear just why I shout from the rooftops how lucky we are. Although I returned back to work this week, I truly feel like the spirit of Christmas continues to be with us. The boys eagerly look forward to playing with their toys when they get home from school and I just can’t convince myself to start taking down the decorations. In a way I don’t want this Christmas to end. I guess one exciting thing is that we were given one other gift from my parents. In January, we will be taking a trip to an unknown destination (okay we all know but it is a complete surprise for the boys) for a weeklong vacation with my family. Here’s a hint… we are visiting the most magical place on earth and we having to fly to the other coast of the country to get there. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself and the boys are excited as well. Except the boys are convinced we are going to Iowa! When we arrive in Orlando and the boys realize exactly what we are doing, I think their heads are going to explode. They honestly think the only reason why I work is so that we can save money to someday go to Disneyworld. It will be a dream come true for not only them but for all of us. I’m so thankful to my parents for making this a reality for us. Stay tuned for updates about that and if I can ever figure out how to put a video on here, I’ll surely will. I can’t wait to record their reaction when we arrive and they find out we are going to see Mickey Mouse. I have no doubt it will be magical.
I hope this Christmas was filled with many wonderful memories for each one of you and I pray that 2011 is a year of blessings not only for our economy and for all those families, children and individuals that are struggling but I hope that 2011 brings everyone happiness and hope that prayers can be answered. Mine sure were.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment