I laughed, turned the light out and told him to rest while I showered. When I was finished, I came back, and gave him the go ahead. He insisted on doing everything himself... getting his cereal, changing his clothes behind closed doors so he could give us the big reveal, combing his own hair so it would look handsome, carrying his bag, lunch pack, and water bottle. He wanted to do it all and I tried to restrain myself to let him do as he wished.
We arrived at school and he was ready to jump out of the car, wave goodbye and never look back. I guess it was just mom and dad who weren't ready yet to say goodbye. We walked into the school where we took a few pictures with him and his teacher and then he decided to take some pictures on his own.
Gabriel's teacher is wonderful and I think will be a great year! With the ring of the bell, the school day had started and Mrs. Smarik read the children a book while the parents watched and soaked up every last second. The book was called "The Kissing Hand" and it is the story of a raccoon mom and her child. The child raccoon had to go off to school and was a little worried going to a new strange place. The momma raccoon kissed her son's hand and put it up to his cheek. She then told him that if he missed his momma to just put his hand to his cheek and know that his momma was thinking of him. Although the story is told much more eloquently, it basically caused all of the parents in the room to have tears in their eyes while the children attentively listened to the ending. And as Mrs. Smarik said, "The end" we knew that was our signal to leave. Gabriel came up to us and we kissed his hand and then hugged him, wishing him a great day. And with that he was off to go back to his table and begin his first day at school. Not a tear, a hesitation or even a look back. Our little boy was ready and although we felt a heaviness in our hearts, we beamed with pride that he's growing into a great boy.
| Gabriel requested that his first day of school picture be with Jack. |
| Gabriel and his teacher |
| Gabriel then decided he wanted to take the camera and here are a few shots of of his classroom. |
| He LOVES the nametag! |
| Can you see who wasn't paying attention to the story? |
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment