Friday, July 27, 2012

tooth times...again

Our stories of losing teeth seem to revolve around one child, and although he is the oldest and should be losing his teeth first, he seems to have a lot of excitement that goes along with each wiggle in his mouth.

Take for example his two front teeth.  They've both been loose for at least the last 6 months.  In fact I know it has been longer than that because I have pictures of dad trying to pull it from back in January.  Even with Gabriel's consistent pleas to have them pulled, at the time, they just weren't ready.  Perhaps mom and dad were too queasy to think about pulling them, but we didn't tell Gabriel that.
And pulling Gabriel's teeth has been the focus of many a conversations this summer with MaeLyn and Aaron.  Take for example our 4th of July.  In the middle of fire works, Gabriel insisted his tooth be taken out right then and there.
He tried everything, pulling it with his own fingers, having MaeLyn try with hers.  There was even several go arounds with floss being tied around and around the slippery tooth which was STILL not ready to come out.

MaeLyn loves that I've shared these pictures of her looking like a rabbit or a wood chuck, but I told her I just had to share them.



There was even Gabriel's efforts at throwing himself onto the top of Isabelle's crib rails to get it to come out.  See below.  Instead it only left him with a chipped front tooth and blood stains for mom to get out of Isabelle's sheet.

And then there was yesterday.  Again, Gabriel had a day where he insisted that his tooth get pulled out right then and there.  Aaron had promised him that before he and MaeLyn leave to go back to Iowa that he would make sure his tooth was out.  With less than a week left, Gabriel decided it had to be the day.

So Aaron attempted to grab it with his hands, no such luck.  And then Gabriel went to get his trusty piece of floss. Together him and Aaron wrapped it around and around to the point that there was no other way for the floss to come out of his mouth than without the tooth with it.  A few minutes into the task Gabriel started to get cold feet about Aaron pulling it and decided MaeLyn should do the job instead. 

After her failed attempts it was back to Aaron to "attempt to get the floss off."  Of course Mom wanted to get it all on video but had filled up all her memory cards and  the boys couldn't wait until I could get another one.  Mark it down for another one of Mom's mistakes.  As Aaron pretended to try and unwrap or look at the floss Gabriel pulled his head away in fear.  Minutes later as I sat watching I saw a piece of floss fly through the air with a tooth on the end.  Before I could even realize was had happened, Gabriel's eyes bulged out of his head and he said, "You'll got my tooth!!!! You pulled my tooth!!!"

And with celebrations, cheers and laughter, we celebrated bloody mouth Gabriel as he beamed in pride he had lost his first front tooth the good old fashion way, by pulling it himself (of course with Aaron's help).

Celebrations turned to excited recounts by each of the boys and immediately preparations got underway to prepare for the Tooth Fairy's arrival.  Gabriel went to the counter, pulled out a baggy to put his tooth in and immediately started walking to his room to put under his pillow.

Meanwhile Michael disappeared into the other room to his art table.  In all the commotion we didn't notice what he was going until he appeared back in the kitchen to retrieve a baggy of his own.  When I asked him what he was doing he said, "Look I lost a tooth too!"  and inside his baggy was a tiny square piece of white paper he had cut out.  He said, "Mom, I'm going to trick the tooth fairy so I get money too!"  I responded, "Oh really Michael, you think you can trick the tooth fairy?" "I am mom, I'll show you my money in the morning" and off he went to put his baggy under his pillow.

Early this morning before the sun rose, I found the boys in their bathroom having a very excited conversation  Although I couldn't tell what they were saying as I approached the door, I knew they were excited because they were speaking loudly although I could tell they were trying with all their might to whisper.  As I opened the door they said, "MOM!!!! The tooth fairy came.  Gabriel said, "Mom, look what I got...
and attached to it was a baggie with some quarters in it.
He was so proud he read the message with his now Jack-O-Lantern smile. 

And then I saw Michael holding something too.  I said, "Honey, what did you get?"  He bashfully smiled and with his I'm instigating a plan in my head look, he said, "look mom"...

He said, "Mom, the tooth fairy knew it wasn't a real tooth. How did she know?"  I responded, "Michael, the tooth fairy is smarter than you think." 
The famous "tooth" Michael left for the smart fairy"

He then went onto laugh and laugh and laugh about how he almost pulled a trick on the tooth fairy.  Both Gabriel and Michael carried around their notes all morning.  And when Aaron and MaeLyn joined us that morning they each excitedly described the story of the tooth fairy's visit over and over.


There's something special about being a kid and believing in all the impossible.  There's also something special about being a mom and believing in the impossible, or at least helping to make the impossible possible.

Until next time,
Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment