Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Support...

There have been so many blessings in this pregnancy, I’ve started writing a list of the blessings and find that it is so long, I get interrupted because it is taking me so long to record them all. 

I’ve talked before about how this pregnancy and how baby girl is a saving grace, in how I approached life and the will to keep going, but I don’t feel I’ve given credit where credit is due in why I’m still pregnant today.

The truth is, we have been truly supported in so many ways with this pregnancy.  Early on, when we first learned we were pregnant, Jarrett vowed he would do what ever he could to step up and take on the roles I was carrying, thus allowing me to focus fully on growing the baby.  Before we told anyone about our news, Jarrett took on full responsibility with the kids, taking care of their homework, the drop offs, the pick ups, the breaking-up-of-arguments between them, cooking ( aka ordering out for dad), you name it.  This meant Jarrett’s long list of duties really never ended and while his sleeping hours suffered and stressed waned, he never complained.  Instead he’d tell me to go lay down, ask me what he could bring me and attended to all our needs.  To this moment, he is still shouldering so much of the weight and reminding me, “Keep your eye on the prize.”  This morning on our way into work, I told him I’m ready to come of the DL (Disabled List) in the near future (VERY near future).

When we got to a point past the first trimester we filled in our parents and my aunt and uncle (who live down the street) who have been amazing sources of support.  When we shared the news our family was excited for us but also concerned about us and wanted to do anything and everything they could to help us.  Jarrett and I, while we try most times to be self sufficient and take on our responsibilities fully; this time we willingly and openly accepted all help we could get.  I think we learned through losing Noah, that it was others carrying us through that got us to where we are today. Asking for help doesn’t mean you are weak and unable, it just means you are welcoming the love and support from others to get through lifes’ challenges.

So we welcomed support and boy have we been blessed.  My aunt and uncle and their daughters have helped us watch Isabelle and volunteered to take the boys to activities to give us one less child to care for. Anita has made countless trips to the grocery store, brought us meals when I was “busy” cooking a baby on the couch, and served as our “on-call” point of contact for those middle of the night trips/after work calls when I need to go to the hospital. 

And then there’s Nana and Papa.  Like my placenta is to my baby girl growing inside of me, Nana and Papa have been the life blood of support for our family (how that for a slightly too graphic but totally pregnancy related metaphor- sorry my brain is pretty much gone these days). J  The minute we shared the news with Nana and Papa they vowed to be here with us through every step of this pregnancy and they would do what ever they could to support.  The reality is, they have done everything we could have ever asked for and a million more things.  The list of support they have given us is where I can’t find an ending to.  From cleaning (and I mean better than I have ever done) our house weekly (or sometimes more often), to making us meals--- so many, grocery shopping, Christmas shopping, decorating our house for the holidays, washing our clothes, fixing everything we break, racing across town and back in a single afternoon during rush hour traffic to get a piece for our ice maker so I could have ice water to drink, assembling the crib, the stroller, the pack-n-play, the swing, installing the car seat, putting stuff in our attic, taking Jack on countless walks, racing to our house in the middle of the night, the middle of the day, the crack of dawn, watching the kids, taking Isabelle on millions of Paw Patrol adventures… like I said, I could keep going forever.  Suffice to say, they have taken on more than I could have ever asked for or dreamed and never once hesitated in their commitment to our family and goal of bringing home our daughter. 

I can only hope that someday I am there for our grown children in the way Nana and Papa have been there for us.

And as I specifically list the efforts of Anita, Andy, Nana and Papa, the truth is there have been so many of you that have provided us so much love and support from early on and continue to do so now.  The text messages to check in, the sharing of prayers for us and our children, the gift baskets of support, the meals, the cards in the mail just to say… you were in my thoughts today, so many ways we’ve been lifted up.  And I'm so so grateful for you.  Forgive me for not listing you individually, but please know your care will always be remembered and has kept me, kept us going.  We will be eternally grateful.
 
Until next time,
Angie





No comments:

Post a Comment