After our scare on Monday, Jarrett and I made trips to the doctor on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thankfully, the doctors were wonderful in helping us figure out the best plan of action to try and keep these contractions at bay. Also in meeting with Dr. A on Wednesday, he pretty clearly laid out that for the remainder of this pregnancy I need to accept the fact that contractions are going to be a part. While he did it in a nice, supportive way, it was good for me to hear the info put to me pretty straight forward. I've been so scared about her coming early that I've convinced myself mentally that any day before 37 weeks is too soon. Dr. A said, while we would like her to wait to come until after 36 weeks, let's try to just get you to 34 weeks. And then I said, "What happens if she comes sooner, like now?" He looked me in the eye and said, "Angie, she will be in the NICU but she's going to be okay." Hearing him say that was just what I needed to release one more level of stress I've carried around from the beginning. He also said, "You're almost to 34 weeks, its only 10 days away... you are going to get there. I'm confident."
Hearing him say 10 days I realized we are a lot closer than I was allowing my mind to process. To me I feel like I'm suppose to still be pregnancy for 52 more days, to get to May 22, but the reality is... we probably have many fewer days.
Walking out of the office, and processing with Jarrett, our next goal is only 10 days away, I realized I need to get my butt in gear... we actually need to start preparing for her arrival. Talk about the nesting feeling kicking into high gear... only I've been told to take it very easy or bed rest is the next step. On the way home, it hit me while we've had my hospital bag packed since week 22, I have never thought of packing anything for the baby. I don't even know, do you have to pack anything for the baby or does the hospital have all the stuff she would need? I asked Dad, to which he looked even more at a loss than me.
Since Wednesday, actually earlier in the week I've been doing my best to take things very easy, growing more accepting with the reality that contractions are just going to be my reality and preparing myself mentally that she could come at any time. I've also accepted the fact that with the Nifedipine, I'm also going to just feel crappy. And I'll willingly take that if it isn't hurting her, and keeps her inside for even a few days more.
As we anticipate her arrival, the question we get more and more is "have you decided upon her name?" Jarrett and I have talked a few times about names we like and ideas we have and while we've narrowed down the list to our final few, we haven't officially picked one name. At this point we have our top three names and have decided to wait to meet her before we make our final decision.
That being said, however if you'd ask Isabelle about the baby's name she'll proudly tell you what she thinks her name is going to be. Yesterday when I picked Isabelle up from school, I walked into her classroom to which Isabelle shouted, "Momma, followed by my baby!" and ran up to touch my belly. Ms. Samantha walked toward the door and said, "Isabelle talks about her all day long." As Ms. Samantha and I talked, Isabelle invited all of her little friends to come over to meet her baby sister. Isabelle said, "Do you want to touch my baby sister, you can touch my momma's tummy." It makes me smile to see Isabelle's so excited but I do have to admit, I wasn't so sure how I was going to feel about 14-4 year olds, with who knows what kinds of germs or sickness they had, touching my belly.
After I decided to distract Isabelle and her friends from racing to rub my stomach, I heard Ms. Samantha say, "Isabelle shared with the class today the name of her baby sister." I turned to look at Ms. Samantha and I said, "Oh?" She continued, "Well I asked Isabelle if her baby sister had a name and she said yes." I continued listening. "Isabelle tells me the baby's name is going to be Sweetie Pie." I started laughing and said, "Isabelle asked me if we could call the baby Sweetie Pie and I told her yes, now I think she thinks we are actually going to call the baby that." To which Ms. Samantha said, "Um yes, I think she thinks that's the baby's name because when she told me the name (several times) she was very serious. " Samantha continued, "That's why I decided to ask you, because I thought well maybe they are really going to call her that." I laughed and said, "While we love the name Sweetie Pie for a nickname, I can tell you that isn't one of the actual names we are considering." Ms. Samantha smiled and said, "I'll be excited to see what 'Sweetie Pie's' actual name is."
So little Sweetie Pie, we are thankful you are still inside and that we are just two days away from 33 weeks. While we won't make you go through your whole life with the name Sweetie Pie, we may just nickname you our littlest Sweetie Pie for the next several days (hopefully weeks). We know your big sister approves of the name, and I think its a pretty cute nickname too.
Until next time,
Angie
Hi, I've been reading your blog for awhile now. When I had my daughter the hospital had everything a baby needs(diapers, wipes, onesies, etc.) I know some people take their own clothes to put on the baby, but that just means you'll have more laundry to do when you get home. I just took a going home outfit to put on my daughter.
ReplyDeleteLisa