Today I started a new job. I know what you are thinking… who starts a new job when they are 33 weeks pregnant? Seriously, I know. Even my high-risk doctor said, “Are you out of your mind?” (he was joking) when he heard I wanted to push back our normal weekly “date” so I could make a good first impression at my new job this week.
While it may seem odd or against the norm, this is one of those life moments when I really felt God played a part in making this come to fruition. See almost 4 months ago, I learned about a new part-time opportunity with the College of Nursing and Health Innovation that would allow me to get back into event planning, while also getting to work with alumni and community partners. After several friends sent me the job posting and said, “you should look into this”, I decided I would.
While I loved working with so many of my colleagues at my previous place of employment, when I read this job description, I felt really connected with what the position entailed. This position would pull me out of my comfort zone, make me learn new things again and also take me to a different location. Instead of working in Tempe, just 7 short miles from our home, this position is downtown, in the heart of metro Phoenix. While the thought of fighting traffic for 17 miles both ways was enough to scare me from applying, Jarrett reminded me his work was only 3 blocks away, that we could car pool and that I’d be saving money, A LOT of money on parking (or no parking fees). Plus he said (again), we can carpool and actually talk to one another (we primarily communicate via text as we race from one thing to the next). After thinking about it and hearing him tell me over and over I wouldn’t be the one driving in rush hour traffic, I applied.
This is where I feel God played a part in shaping everything that happened. Several weeks after I applied, I was called to set up an interview. It was set for Wednesday, January 20th, the same day as my 22 week ultrasound…. the ultrasound that showed very clear signs I was going into early labor. The same ultrasound where I left with instructions to keep my phone close, as they gave me instructions if I should go to the hospital or just stay in bed. The ultrasound that left me on bedrest for 2 weeks. I walked out of the doctor’s office, with only 45 minutes before I was supposed to be downtown interviewing for this position. I called my doctor’s nurse, asked if I could go to the interview, to which she said, I would not recommend doing anything other than laying in the bed. I agreed, this baby was the most important and I couldn’t risk doing anything to have her come early.
So I called the contact I had for the interview and explained how sorry I was but that due to an unforeseen medical situation, I was going to have to cancel. They were wonderful in telling me they were sorry to hear I was ill but would call me the following week to see about rescheduling. I thanked them, apologized again, and crawled into bed.
The following week I heard from them, asking to reschedule the interview, and being that I was still on bedrest, I told them how sorry I was but that I was going to have to remove myself from consideration as I needed to focus on my health. They were extremely understanding and asked me if they ever re-posted the position or had a similar one in the future if I would like to be on a list to be contacted. I told them absolutely I would be interested and thanked them for the opportunity.
Several weeks went by, I was released from bed and given the chance to go back to work and thought I would be happily at my previous place of employment until well after the baby was born, or longer. However I always wondered what happened with that position and that it was a bummer I never got the chance to learn more about it. That’s when, out of the blue, I got a message from the same person who called me about the job earlier. She reached out to ask me if there was any chance I was still interested in their position. Reading her email I got very excited as I had honestly thought about that job almost on a daily basis and wondered if I had missed out on a great opportunity. I responded right away and said I was and that I would love to talk with them if that would be at all possible.
I also told them I needed to be upfront and honest though, that I was 6 months pregnant, with a high risk pregnancy and that I didn’t know if having someone who would want to take leave soon after starting would work with their hiring needs or plans. I was honest and knew full well, my “situation” may not work for them. If that was true for their hiring needs, I wasn’t going to feel bad. It was just the way it was. Again, I can’t imagine being in charge of a program and hiring someone who would only want to take leave right after starting… not ideal. I sent the email detailing everything and hoped it would be received positively. I then crossed my fingers, and continued to hit refresh on my phone until I saw her message pop up a few minutes later.
They congratulated me on my pregnancy, said they were a very family oriented office and if I was willing they wanted to set up an interview. The following week, I met the director of the program and the members of her team. From the moment I was greeted in the lobby, throughout the interview and leaving the building, I was treated so kindly, so warmly welcomed, and felt like I had walked into a family. I felt at home and I had just met them.
In the following couple of weeks I talked with them, they asked me follow up questions, I met with their Dean and each time felt like I was being called to make a change. I then received an offer and knew in my heart, it was time for me to take my next career step. While I enjoyed working with so many of my friends at my previous employment…they were the ones that supported me through Noah’s pregnancy, those very difficult days of returning to the office after he passed, and the joyous celebration of anticipation in bringing home our daughter, I just felt I was being called to take this opportunity.
This position, allows me to continue working part time, a flexible schedule to be there for my family and allows me to work on a small team-oriented office. These are qualities that are so important to me in my career and in my life…. For the title I value most isn’t the one printed on my business cards, it’s the one I hear 100’s of times a day… “Mom”.
Going to bed last night I wondered how I would sleep. Most people doesn’t sleep all that great on the night before they begin their new job right? As the evening rolled around, I kept waiting for my stomach to turn into knots, for the first-day jitters to kick in, and for me to stress about the decision I had made. Yet, as much as I anticipated them to arrive, they never did. I went to bed at a decent time, woke up 7 times to go to the bathroom and to take my contraction medication, but each time I crawled (these days it’s more of a roll if I’m being honest) back into bed and fell asleep quickly. I woke up at 6 to my alarm, and I felt somewhat refreshed. (Seriously these days sleep is pretty hard to find so the fact I felt refreshed is HUGE!)
I got up for work, reminded the kids we had to leave on time, I had gone through the changes and schedule updates with them last night as explained the importance of being ready. And I watched in amazement as our normally rushed, crazy, hectic morning seemed to flow smoothly, with only a couple minor snags. Even Isabelle, who normally throws several fits, complains she doesn’t want to go to school but wants to stay home and have Paw Patrol adventures with Nana and Papa, was doing what we asked without a fight. I was afraid to say anything.
At 6:47 am, just two minutes after our goal departure time, we were backing out of the driveway, with only one child upset. Seriously, this is a HUGE victory. Jarrett jumped in the driver’s seat, turned on the car and as the radio came on, “Shut Up and Dance” came on. I smiled, turned it up and we all started singing. Isabelle shouted “Baby Noah’s song” and I felt in my heart, it was another reminder, I was reassured, I had made the right decision.
We dropped Isabelle off at school, then the boys, told them to have a good day and soon enough it was just Dad and I in the car. We turned the radio back up so we could hear, having turned it off before to talk with the boys before school, and beginning our first drive together Downtown, Noah’s song came on again. I turned the radio back up and as I put my hand down on the center console, Dad reached across to grab it. Our son was there with us this morning. When I was needing a reminder or a bit of reassurance we were doing the right thing, I felt him. I realize how strange this may sound or just like a coincidence, but it really does mean something to me… I have to believe they are my signs.
And if I needed any more reassurance, when I got to my new workspace today and sat down, I looked over at the empty desk next to mine. There it was…
Just a little sign to say, “I’m here Mom, you’ve got this.”
I fought back tears (happy tears, reassurance tears, tears of missing my son), and told myself there was no crying on the first day at a new job. I’m proud of myself… I made it to lunch until the tears came as I looked at the picture of the rainbow and thought about how grateful I am for where we are (33 weeks plus) and beginning a new journey. A happy one, a blessed one.
So I started a new job today and yes I’m 33 weeks pregnant. Some may think I'm crazy or even out of my mind, but I feel in my heart, it was the right decision.
Until next time,
Angie

No comments:
Post a Comment