Jarrett and I had been lucky enough to attend this event back in 2010 and when we learned of this news, we were very honored, especially Jarrett, as we realized exactly how big an honor this was. Thankfully the LLS staff invited our entire family, including Jarrett's mom and dad to attend. We were very excited.
So on Saturday night, we all got dolled up (or fancied up) and went to the Talking Stick Resort for the ball. The boys were thrilled with the idea of going to a ball and we used it as bribery for weeks to get them to make good choices.
I got the boys suites and black ties with white hanker chiefs to wear. They looked very dapper and Isabelle she got to wear a light pink and white tulle dress with flowers, a pretty bow headband and a flowerette wrist corsage. She looked amazing.
Jarrett and I did our best to clean up and look nice and with 102 degrees outside we did our best not to sweat through everything.
As we arrived at the event, we were greeted by many oohs and awes. I assure you, Jarrett and I looked nice, but we knew the comments were not because of how nice we looked. It was the kids. There was a silent auction and drinks and we waited for the doors to the ballroom to open. Many many people came up to us and made comments about how cute the boys were and many more doted on our precious little girl. A few nice people asked, "How old is she?" and when I responded 2 months they said, "Wow, you look great for giving birth two months ago?" I smiled, laughed and then explained that we were adopting her. I never know how to take those comments, most of the time I smile and say thank you. Secretly I wonder if I do look like I have just given birth.
The evening was a night we will always remember. The boys were so excited to be dressed up so nicely and they soaked up every minute of attention. Michael was smiles from ear to ear all night. He loves to get dressed up, so this was his perfect element.
As the doors opened we found out seats and soon there after the event started. Tiffanie, the staff member from LLS who planned the event had made special gift bags for the boys, to keep them entertained during dinner. It was very nice and wonderful. They immediately started busting out their coloring books and were happy as clams. Right before dinner, one lady went next to Nana who was holding Isabelle and they started talking. Just a few minutes later, the same lady was up on the stage, emceeing the event. She, who turns out to be a local news reporter, welcomed everyone and then said, "I must say the girl who is the best dressed tonight is seated at table 11", which just happened to be our table, "and her name is Isabelle. She is 2 months old and I've got to know who she is wearing." The spotlight shifted over and soon Isabelle and Nana were the center of attention as everyone laughed and awed at her cuteness. It was really neat.
As dinner continued the boys took in every moment and I knew the time for Jarrett's award was nearing. He had prepared a speech, and I could tell he was a little nervous to give it, given he had only finished writing it 20 minutes before we arrived at the event. And soon enough the time had come. One of Jarrett's riding (bike riding) buddies, Jayme Burgess, who was also seated at our table had disappeared a few minutes before Jarrett's award time and the next thing we knew Jayme was on stage introducing Jarrett. He started by saying... "I met Jarrett in 2010 when he and I were training for the America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe. As I got to know Jarrett I realized what an amazing man he is.... he is kind, considerate, works hard at his career and is always positive... he continued... Jarrett and I got along really well and although we are not built like your typical bikers (joke), I was surprised one Saturday morning when Jarrett didn't show up for our training practice. I was worried, and when Jarrett returned the following Saturday I asked him where he had been. Jarrett apologized profusely and then announced that the reason why he wasn't at practice was because he and his wife Angie had adopted 2 boys through the State of Arizona. Jayme continued... it was then that I realized the true caliber of my friend Jarrett.
As the video played, and Jarrett recounted his battle with Hodgkin's and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I must admit emotions from the past 5 years flowed through my mind and my heart. Within a matter of seconds I was taken back to that terrible Friday, April 13 when the surgeon looked at Jarrett and said, these lumps need to come out right away... that Monday, April 16, when I sat in the waiting room with a lump in my stomach watching the live coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings and worrying as my husband was in surgery having lumps removed from his neck and under his arm. And that terrible terrible day... Friday, April 20, 2007 when the doctor called Jarrett on the phone and said, you have cancer. I will never forget the phone call I received from him when he said, Angie, it is cancer and then he started to cry on the other end of the phone.
In a matter of a second, a picture in a video, it had all come back. And I continued to listen to his story, with tears running down from my eyes, the story went from sadness and devastation to hope and happiness. Jarrett then recounted how our lives changed with the words "the cancer's gone" and "you're in remission" and just 2 years ago this next week, when we learned we were going to be parents. Just a few short minutes later, the video was recounting how happy and blessed our lives are. All the pain, sorrow, hope, happiness and love... every emotion, every event, every ounce of faith and hope that has been our lives for the past 5 years, was covered in that short 6 minute video.
As Jarrett's name was called and he walked up on stage, I couldn't help but feel so proud of my husband. I was, I am so very proud of him. I'm not sure how he got through the battle of stage 3, composite lymphoma and the fact of knowing the odds were not in his favor, but I can honestly say, we both believed from day 1, that he would beat the odds. He is, my hero.
As we all sat at the table, his parents, the boys, Isabelle and me, we were all smiles from ear to ear and beaming with pride, that our son, our husband, our dad was getting the recognition he truly deserves. He delivered a great speech that embodies all that hope represents and even if I wasn't his wife I'd say that.
Midway through his speech, Tiffanie, the event organizer, came up to me and asked me to take the kids and join her at the side of the stage, because at the conclusion of the event they wanted all of us to take the stage.
Jarrett wrapped up his comments and before we knew it we were all on stage. The boys were carrying their piggy bank, which they had been doing chores and various other things to try and earn money. They then decided to donate all the money they had been saving to help doctors find more medicine to help people. Gabriel decided he'd be the one to talk on stage and we had been practicing for a few days before. He was going to say, "We've been saving money to help people who are sick like my dad was. Will you please help us raise money?" as they presented their piggy bank to the LLS team. However, when we got on stage and seeing several hundred people staring back at him, the speech was much shorter, "We've saved money to help people who are sick. Help us" Thankfully the emcee knew the message he was trying to say and encouraged the audience to consider giving back.
We were all able to be up close as Dad was honored with the 2012 LLS Person of Hope award. What a wonderful honor and to a great person it was given!
As the night continued dinner wrapped up, the desserts were served and the part of the night the boys had been waiting for started, the dancing as the band started playing. And dance they did, the boys danced and danced and danced. Soon enough all of the adults were leaving the party and the dance floor was cleared out, but two boys were continuing to shake their booty and dance the night away. In fact, I have to share this video of the boys busting a move... and Jarrett and I want to be clear that we have no idea where Gabriel learned his moves... we are blaiming it on kindergarten and the song is just so age appropriate for a 5 and 6 year old right? :-) http://youtu.be/E7gqVfeZp5k
The 2012 LLS Hope Ball will be a night we won't soon forget and the boys won't either. As we left the Talking Stick Resort at 12:10 a.m. with two boys wide awake with excitement, they were all still smiles. As I helped them change into their pajamas once we got to the car, Michael said, "Mom, my little toesies hurt from dancing so much... but it was so much fun." And when we got home and I carried them into the house to put into bed, a half awake-half asleep Michael said, "Mom, thank you so much for taking me to the ball. It was so much fun."
I think for two boys who didn't know what to expect, they saw the ball as their Cinderella night, actually wait; I take that back... we all felt that way.
Until next time,
Angie
What a wonderfully written post! I felt like I was there with you! We are really happy to have met and become friends with you. Jarrett truly is a wonderful person and I am so glad LLS chose to honor him. You looked beautiful and I hope you took a nice portrait of the whole family while you were there. So nice to see you guys the other night... Must get together again soon.
ReplyDelete