He is truly desperate for attention. Since I've been on leave from work, I've been home with him and Isabelle most days of the week. And although you'd think I'd have lots of time to walk him or give him love and attention, the sad truth is, some mornings he gets a pat on the head, a good morning and after that, well, not too much else.
But that doesn't stop him and he continues to persist in trying to get my eyes and hands to go to his level and give him love and attention. It isn't that I don't want to, I'd love to give him more attention and walks. The reality is there just isn't enough hours in the day (and I could be giving him it now, but it is past his bedtime and he's decided he's picking sleep right now) and I can only be in one place at one time. I'm finding with the three kids, I wish I could multiply to get everything I need to get done done.
Jack's my shadow, he follows me from one room to another and I've noticed in the last few weeks, he's almost adopting cat-like tendencies where he'll walk right next to my leg, almost to brush up against it, and say, "Hey momma, remember me, I was your first child and I still love you... do you still love me?" When he does this, I admit it gets me every time and I reach down to rub his head and show him that yes I do still and will always love him.
And in trying to get attention we've seen that the first one to show signs of jealousy over having baby Isabelle in the house, isn't the boys, it is actually Jack. Jack has decided that he will do his best to take over, steal or claim anything that is Isabelle's that she isn't using. For example, today, I had the quilt I made her spread out on the couch for her to lay on and after I fed and burped her, I put both the quilt and burp cloth back down on the couch. As I walked into the other room with her to change her diaper, Jack decided that was his chance to stake his claim. When I walked back into the living room here's what I saw...
I couldn't help but laugh because I couldn't even stage something so perfectly. The way he laid his head right on the burp cloth and his body on the rest of the quilt made me smile. I thought to myself, man he really is watching ever move I make with Isabelle. But I can't decide exactly what message Jack was giving me... it could either be
a) I do what ever it takes to get attention and since that other little thing only has to lay like this to get your attention, I'll show you, I can do it too mom.
or
b) don't even try to take this back mom, she's got to learn sooner rather than later the lesson in sharing, I'm just trying to teach her how it works. If she'll just share everything with me, we'll get along perfectly.
until next time,
Angie
Awe...poor baby Jack. We still go through the same thing with our Molly. She hasn't been the same since we brought Kate home from the hospital. It's hard because they were our "babies" before we had babies. If I am on the floor playing with the girls I always get Molly in the mix, or I always have the girls give her treats and give her kisses when we leave the house. Jack will get used to the new family and swing of things. Dogs are very smart, and very loyal. He wouldn't want to be with any other family, I can promise you that. :-)
ReplyDelete