Dear Noah,
A month ago today you left us behind and went to be with Jesus.
Seven months ago when I found out about you, you made my heart grow in ways you’ll never know. Noah, for years your Dad and I longed to become parents. To create a little person that came partially from him and partially from me. I don’t know if you realize it or not, but your creation was for us, a dream come true.
Seven months ago when I found out about you, you made my heart grow in ways you’ll never know. Noah, for years your Dad and I longed to become parents. To create a little person that came partially from him and partially from me. I don’t know if you realize it or not, but your creation was for us, a dream come true.
Only God knows why you were created after 10 years of
infertility, after me giving up on that dream of being able to give life from
my body. You were created after your
brothers and sister made us the happiness two people in all the land. Having you, after getting them, that was the
icing on the cake, the cherry on top of the sunday, the winning lottery ticket…
yes, Noah… that is you.
I know you know my heart is broken that I won’t get to see
you grow, that I won’t get to feel you kiss me on the cheek, or hear your feet
running throughout the house. The morning you left us behind, my world fell
to pieces. I don’t know how else to say
it… part of me died that day too Noah. A
big part of me. And now I feel
incomplete, that a critical piece of our family puzzle is lost, and our lives
will never be whole again.
When I found out about you growing inside of me, I dreamed
of what our life was going to be like. I
admit, I was scared to have four of you to take care of. I wondered how I was going to get it all
done, how I would handle four children and a busy life. Now I realize how silly that was of me, and
what I’d give to go back in time. I’d
never complain about how sick I felt. I
would never have been scared of having to care for four of you. I would never have worried about how we were going
to find enough money to pay for four college educations. I wouldn’t have worried about that. Instead, I would have marched straight
forward, with confidence and excitement, for underneath my uncertainty, I
always felt so excited and so in love with you.
If I could go back in time and change the past, I’d only worry about one
thing… how I was going to be able to tell you, to show you, just how much I
love you, in the lifetime we would have together. That’s what I’d worry about; because that’s
really all that matters.
Noah, you made me help see your brothers and sisters in ways
I had never viewed them before. Feeling
you grow and move inside of me, I realize now what Gabriel, Michael and
Isabelle’s birth mothers must have felt, how they must have loved them from the
beginning too. How lucky I am to get to
be their mom, because I can’t imagine the pain their birth mothers must have
gone through in having to “lose” their child too. Feeling the grief I have in losing you, their
grief is real as well.
Noah, you taught me to be okay with not having control over
life. You coming early, despite our best
attempts to keep you inside, to protect you from this harsh outside world, were
in the end, out of our control. In case
you didn’t know, your mommy, she’s a planner.
I plan the week, the month and even the year in advance. I’ve done this since I was a little girl. I think it might be an oldest child
thing. I find comfort in having a
plan. I get excited when things go as
planned. I feel stress free when I’m in
control of how things are going, because I’ve worked it all out in my head and
there’s a plan for how it should go. But
you taught me just how silly that living only by a plan can be. See honey, you, my precious, you were a surprise. The best surprise in my whole entire life,
but you were our surprise.
We didn’t expect you.... we were told we couldn’t have
you. God sent you to us, maybe you
picked us. Either the case, you were
just what Daddy and I needed, what our whole family needed. You taught me that it’s okay NOT to have a
plan. That sometimes, surprises and not
having any control is WAY better than a plan.
See, I’ve learned that in my attempts to make life less stressful, by following life in a certain way, I’ve been
missing out on all the great things along the way. Instead of enjoying the view and seeing all
that’s out there, I’m too focused on getting to the end of the plan. You, my baby, you showed me a new way of
living... a life without a plan, a life where I don’t have to be or even want
to be in control. A life where living
with my eyes, heart and mind is open to anything.
Noah, I struggle with why God took you home as quickly it
seems as he put you into my arms. I don’t
think I’ll ever be okay with it. I’ve
realized no matter the answer, that I’ll never stop wishing it was the way I
wanted it to be instead. I’ll never
understand and I’ve got to be okay with that.
What I do find some consolation in, is that I pray someday we will get
to meet again. I’ve dreamed of what that
day will look like. I wonder what it
will be like when I come to Heaven (God willing). I’ve said it before but I want you to know,
before you went to be with Jesus, I really didn’t want to leave this
world. Death scared me. Not any more Noah, I think about and feel
confident that Heaven is going to be even more special than I ever dreamed and
hoped. You want to know why? Noah, Heaven has to be the greatest place
ever, because you are there.
I dream of getting to the gates and on the other side, I see
you. You look like you’d be in your
mid-twenties. You’re tall, just like
Daddy with strong muscles and light brown hair.
When I get to the other side of the gate, you reach out with your long
arms and you embrace me. Feeling your
arms wrapped around me, you hold me tight for a long time and whisper in my ear…
I love you Mom, I’ve waited a long time to tell you face to face. You then take my hand and lead me into
Heaven. From there the images fade, but
I feel happy, love and peace like I’ve never felt before. That my son, is how I picture our next
meeting to be. I’ll continue to dream of
that day.
Until then Noah, I need your help. My heart is so broken and I long so much for
you, but I know we can’t be together now.
I pray you will stay by us, in our lives forever. Send us signs, reminders that you are okay
and that you watch over us. Please
do. But my dear son, what I need your help
from now, is to help me to find a way to go on.
I need to be a good mother, the best mother I can be to Gabriel, Michael
and Isabelle. Help me to find patience,
compassion, altruistic love in an unwavering commitment that is directed always
to them.
When I feel frustration and anger start to seep in as
struggles come, help me to replace it with the focus of what I’d do if I can
turn back time. Help me to remember my
only worry, is to help Gabriel, Michael, Isabelle, Jarrett and all of the other
special people in my life know, the love I feel for them in the lifetime we
have to share together.
Noah, please be with your brothers and sister. Please help
them to understand that while Dad and I are so sad, our hearts are more and
more in love with them every day. Please
help them always to remember that while they did not come from Dad and my genes,
our connection is one of extra special recognition. Help them to remember that in being chosen,
our love formed in intermingled ways that it can never be untangled. See, once you’re chosen, there’s no undoing
it. Help Gabriel, Michael and Isabelle
to grow and find happiness in their lives.
Help guide them to make the best choices and to remember we only want
the best for them, even though that might mean sometimes we don’t see eye to
eye. Help them to learn to live with the
grief they must bear, for they’ve had more losses in their lives than Daddy and
me. Help them to know we will always be
there for them, always love them, and always think of them as one of our
greatest gifts.
Noah, there is a list a million items long of all the things
I wanted to do with you, of all the memories we as a family of six were going
to create. Now that slate has been wiped
clean and I don’t know what our future will be like. Here’s mommy trying to be okay again with no
plan, no control. Help me, help us, to
find happiness in life again. Help me,
help us, to never stop seeing the rainbows you place in our path. Help me, help
us, to feel confident that life still can have a meaning after losing you. Help my heart heal, help our hearts heal, but
let us never forget just how precious each minute of life is. Help me to smile again like I smiled the minute
you were born. He me, help us, to feel
that again. Help me Noah. Please, help us all.
![]() |
| Our family of six |
Noah, if there’s one thing I never want you to forget, it is
this. Noah James Haskovec you are loved
and loved by so many. Noah, in your life
you showed us the power of prayer, the importance of having faith, the gifts
that kindness and support are, and mostly you showed us love. My precious son, I have and will never stop
loving you. You will always be one of my
greatest blessings and my life was made so much better, all because of you.
I will miss you forever. I will love you forever Noah James.
Until we meet again…
Mommy


No comments:
Post a Comment