I laced up my tennis shoes and went outside as the rain fell softly. I took off and felt the pain of sore muscles, muscles that haven't been used in months. Strangely the pain from the sore muscles feels good, for once it is a different kind of pain and I welcome it.
The rain fell softly while the thunder and lightning made music and lights in the sky. It felt good to run it in. It was the visualization of how I've felt these past 11 days. Running down the canals I asked God why this had to happen and used my inferior human brain to find an answer... obviously I am inferior, there seems to be no good reason for why I would be blessed with getting pregnant after all those years of trying, only to have my greatest hope and dream dashed and my living, breathing and fully, perfectly formed son taken from my arms. I just can't understand it.
As I ran I searched the sky, begging Noah for a sign. Today is another tough day... these days everyday is. I begged Noah to tell me he is okay. Will I be okay? Will our family be okay? I feel so unsure about everything now, I don't know if I can trust the answers I form in my mind... "I hope so."
The rain started to fall faster as the sky continued to make noise. I reached my point to turn around and after searching the sky and pleading with God and Noah to give me answers, I turned. There it was... I stopped in my tracks and couldn't control my reaction. I sobbed, and wanted to fall to the ground, but didn't my eyes to leave the beautiful image in front of me. The tears coming so fast, my vision became blurry. Not wanting to miss a second of it, I wiped the tears away and looked to the sky for comfort.
When I looked back up in the same spot the rainbow was, it was gone. I had wanted to stay in that spot forever, to have that rainbow follow me back home but it was gone. I felt again, Noah was telling me he was okay. That I need to be at peace with him being in Heaven. He had given me my sign like I begged and pleaded for.
And as I took off running again, I couldn't help but think that the image of the rainbow Noah had given me today was so much like the rainbow sign he gave me on June 25th, so soon after his passing.
I returned home and posted the picture of the beautiful sky I had seen this morning to Facebook. Not long there after one of my friends who lives down the street sent me the following text...
"Angie- you should know I was up early and running this morning as well and was looking for a rainbow, and never saw one. I kept thinking there's got to be one. Noah sent that just for you. I know it."
Her text warmed my heart and added to the comfort I got in seeing it for myself.
I don't think I'm ever going to get the answer to my question of why and I hope someday I can come to terms with that. I used to be a person who'd planned my life out months in advance; even ask our parents, I had the rest of this year planned out in a calendar, printed and shared for our family to see. They say losing a child changes a person and so far I couldn't agree more. Gone is the person I used to be, planning out our life in advance, now I just try to get through the day in front of me.
What I do look forward to, and use as motivation to keep going is that someday I'll hopefully get to see Noah again. Until then, I'll just have to keep looking for signs... somewhere over the rainbow.
Angie
Keep looking for those signs....before you know it, you'll realize they are what helped you keep your head up, literally and figuratively. What a beautiful rainbow he sent you!!!!!! Your son is amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteI thought I'd share one of mine...about a year ago, the guy I was seeing and I broke up. As I left his house in tears, I pulled over into a parking lot and sobbed. It made the pain of not having Jason and the life I had planned to have with him fresh again because once again, my "happy" slipped away. As I sobbed, I pleaded out loud, "God, Jason, Simon, dad....whoever is up there watching over me right now....I just need a sign. I need something to show me that you're still watching over me and that everything is going to be ok." After my crying subsided, I took a deep breath, pulled out of the random parking lot and drove to Wal-Mart. As I got out of my car to walk in and rounded the back of my car, the first car I saw across from me was a black Intrigue, the exact car that Jason was driving when he was in his accident....I ALWAYS notice them. And then, my eyes wandered to the license plate. I gasped, dropped my purse in the middle of the parking lot and immediately had uncontrollable tears just running down my cheeks. The plates were vanity plates that said "HUGSOKB".....exactly the message I had asked for.
Love and prayers. God bless you all and God bless Noah. - Michelle Meyer