Today the crew (all three kiddos) and I made a return trip back to Babies-R-Us after determining they had charged me for an extra box of diapers more than what I actually got. And while the boys weren't thrilled with having to load up and go for another errand after just getting home from school, I explained to them that we were owed money, money needed to possibly do fun things with them and soon enough we were off. Gabriel seemed to grasp the concept of getting our money back and Michael I think interpreted it as I didn't have enough money to pay them so we had to go back to give them more. I pretty sure that was his interpretation after he so unselfishly offered to give up all the money in his compliment jar to help us buy diapers. (Reason number 1, 456, 999 I love that child).
On our drive there I attempted to retell the scenario that happened earlier in the day when I actually got the diapers. Gabriel, mid-way through my story, interjected, "Mom, have you ever had a $100 bill?" Pausing my story I answered, "Yes, Gabriel, I have, why?" "Mom you should bring it along so you can give them the $100 and they could give you back 50 -$1.00 bills" Continuing on, "Then you'll have more money!" Note to self, explain to the boys that just because you have more bills doesn't mean you have more money than a larger bill.
Driving into the parking lot and getting ready to now explain the value of each bill, I put the car into park, instructed everyone to pile out. Michael looked at the store front and said, "Oh I know mom what happened Mom, we're getting our money back from when Dad got the diapers." "Ah no Michael, remember I said I went to get the diapers earlier today when you were in school. Remember Dad's been gone all week and the last time he got diapers here was before Christmas." Moments later my story or explanation didn't matter because Michael found a piece of trash on the ground and his super hero alter-ego (Save the Earth Michael) took over. Soon he was racing all over the parking lot picking up all the trash he could find. If you're reading this thinking we look like a circus act going from one place to another, you're pretty much picturing it as it really does happen.
Inside the store I try to explain to the clerk what happened. As Isabelle screams because she didn't want to be in her car seat, Michael picked up every single item he could and asked me to buy it. In between the clerk asking me what pack of diapers I didn't get and verifying that they could refund my money, I was asked question after question... "Mom- can we get this hand sanitizer?" No Michael we already have that. "Mom- can we get this pop rocks candy- you told me I can have candy?" No Michael- I told you, you could have a piece of your Valentine's Candy at home. "Mom- can we have this lotion (which was actually some sort of nursing mother nipple cream). I think we really need this" No Michael- we do not need that. Please do not touch anything else. Stand here and listen please. Finally getting our money back, I gave the word, "Okay guys let's go!" To which Gabriel says, loud enough for the clerk to hear "Mom- that's good they gave you, the money back and you didn't even have to get mad or yell at them!" Oops maybe my internal thought on the way to the store actually slipped out.
Back in the car we piled and straight shot for home we started. Stopping at the stop light before crossing the interstate, the car was quiet except for Isabelle, she talks, screams or makes noises all the time. I guess the boys and I were in our own thoughts. As I waited for the light to turn green, Gabriel said "Mom- (pointing to the cars in the far right lane turning right on red- look at those cars. They're not even stopping. To which we all looked that way as Gabriel became the play-by-play announcer... Red truck... Look he didn't stop, Gray Toyota- she didn't stop either. Oh my goodness, that person didn't even slow down. (followed by car after car after car, all who didn't seem to stop before turning). Gabriel said "Man mom, there are a lot of bad drivers!!!!!" Mom-its a good thing you're a pretty good driver, you stop on red and you only drive really really fast, when we are late for school and your work and if you don't see a police car around.
The story above is just a glimpst into the daily crazyiness that is our lives. I share it because my kids make me laugh, make me smile and also becuase these are the moments, I know I'll come to miss. Although a silly errand to reclaim money owed is nothing for the record books, the silly questions, the saving-the earth efforts, and the screaming in the backseat as I drive, are all things that make my life so blessed. And I share it today, so I can look back and always remember just how wonderful this time in my life is.
Until next time,
Angie
No comments:
Post a Comment