Sunday, May 3, 2015

A castle project

My husband has always been a fan of Castles.  In his several years of studying abroad I couldn’t tell if it was the interest of living in another country that enticed him or the fact that he could tour and see first-hand all of the beautiful castles still standing around this globe. 

When he became the father to two boys, one of which is interested in building and creating things, Jarrett mentioned the idea of someday building a castle for the boys (he included) to play with.  Jarrett and Michael over the years have brainstormed what the castle would look like, have drawn out plans on several pieces of paper and they’ve talked endlessly about what they all could play when their “dream” became a reality. 

Jarrett knowing his limited knowledge in building, called upon his dad’s expert advice and mastery building skills to help his dream become a creation.  When Papa retired late last fall, the plans on paper started to take shape in person.  For several weeks, Jarrett, Papa, Michael, Gabriel and almost all the neighbor kids would gather in our garage and work on constructing their masterpiece.  Definitely a “boys project” I took a step back and was busy occupied with other things while they began construction.  The kids thought it was the coolest thing and before long the parents of the neighbor kids were asking for progress updates.  I’ve also spotted a few other dads from the neighborhood in the garage admiring the progress.


In the weeks and months Papa, Jarrett and the boys have decided to making this castle so amazing, I’ve come to recognize the true gifts this project has brought.  When it is finished I can assure you, it is going to be the most beautiful, detailed and perfect castle in the whole Southwest, maybe even the U.S..  What I’ve come to appreciate most is the time they’ve spent together and the memories made that can’t be taken away.  I’ve seen the way Michael’s eyes light up when he hears Papa’s coming over to work on the castle with him and I’ve seen the joy Jarrett is getting out of working hand in hand with his dad on something Jarrett will enjoy just as much as the younger boys.  And I feel like I’ve gotten a glimpse into what Jarrett must have been like as a young boy.  His passion for castle’s not something he developed as an adult, but something he’s loved since he was young.  Jarrett’s parents tells me about when Jarrett was a young boy he would spend hours in his room playing quietly setting up one set of soldiers against another army and having battles back and forth.  I can tell he can’t wait to do the same thing in a few days when the castle is all complete.
The best thing about the castle has been the joy I see everyone getting.  This past weekend, Jarrett was out of town and Nana and Papa wonderful took the kids for me all day Saturday evening and the entire day on Sunday.  Now only did it give me time to rest, to catch up on my own projects but it also gave them time to work on finishing the castle.  I haven’t seen a final picture yet but from what I have seen, it is story book perfect. 

For Easter the kids got a medieval castle set that includes archery men, soldiers on horses, catapults and  other weaponry they can use on their new project.  While the castle is not yet complete, the boys have had hours of fun battling it out with each other. 


In this fast-paced life we all seem to lead, it has been fun watching the boys come together, take time to work together on their project and see first hand what they have created.  While the castle is as sturdy as ever and will probably be around for Gabriel and Michael’s grandchildren to play with, their sentimental mom, finds the most value out of the time they spent together creating it.  Someday when our boys are grown and have children of their own, I hope they reflect back on their youth and the memories they had with their dad and grandfather building this masterpiece together.  I know I say it all the time, but I feel ever so reminded of it daily, the minutes and times we have together with our children is so fleeting, the sand falls faster and faster through the hourglass as the grains become less.  The memories we have to capture in those small granulars of sand, is what we can look back on in the future.

Thank you Papa for ALL of the hours of labor, work, sweat and love you’ve put into this Castle.  It is truly a masterpiece for so many reasons.



I can’t wait to see the hours of fun, you will get to have with it.
Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment