Truth revealed here, I’m actually writing this post on day 3
of my 10th week, but who’s really keeping track?! ME- actually. I am firmly aware of every
single day, minute and moment of this experience thus far. The reason
why I’m so keenly aware of what week and day it is, is that I’ve been SUPER
DUPER sick. Every minute, of every
single day. No such luck with just having morning sickness with this amazing
pregnancy journey, nope, somehow I got the "sick all the time" experience
card. In some ways I blame myself…. I
was the one who said for all those years, I’d give anything to be pregnant, I’d
be super sick every single minute of every single day, if only God would help
answer my prayers.
And low and behold he did.
Every single prayer, including my willingness to bear the sickness. So here I am sipping Sprite (one of two
things that taste’s absolutely tolerable (not good, just tolerable)- everything
else is on the “bad tasting” list) and trying to write a recap of what happened
last week.
The truth is, I honestly feel bad both physically and emotionally for how I feel about being pregnant. So far, it is nothing like I hoped, prayed, dreamed it would be. At risk of being too graphic and unpleasant—maybe I should give a warning to stop reading now if you don’t want to hear an emotional, over-tired, bloated and sick cranky lady go on and on. So far pregnancy has been comprised of feeling terrible, horrible every single day, followed by brief moments (when we get an ultrasound) of excitement and awe of the miracle actually taking place inside of me.
This past week (week 9) brought a time when I had become so
worn down, so over the top sick, that I started to waive the white flag. I texted Jarrett one afternoon, as I laid on
the rock ground in our backyard (yes, I literally laid on the hard ground) to
try and get some sun. One of the 15 “useful
remedies” for getting rid of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy is to “get some fresh
air and sunshine”. Earlier in the day I
had gone through the entire list of other suggestions and decided might as well
try the sun and fresh air. Now you may
ask yourself, why did you lie on the ground, no it didn’t say anything about
that in my list. The lying part wasn’t
actually by choice, anytime I got vertical that day, my stomach would regurgitate
anything left in it. Hence the need to
lie flat on the ground. I texted
Jarrett, “Can you talk in 5 minutes? I’m
feeling really sad and can’t stand feeling this sick anymore.” I hit send and before my finger could away
from the screen, he was calling me.
Being that he is really the only
one I can truly share with how I’m feeling, I broke down. I said, “Jarrett, I had no idea it would be
this hard. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I can’t keep feeling this sick
without getting worn down even more.”
He, as wonderful as he had been through this whole thing, let me vent, complain
and get out my emotions, and then he said, “It’s time to call the doctor and
ask for some medicine.” I wanting to be “as
tough as nails” like my other girlfriends (moms) are that have been pregnant,
but I was waving the white flag. I
agreed, hung up the phone and called my doctor.
As most doctors offices (at least I think this is how most
are), I left a message with the triage nurse who would call me back before the
end of the day. I then went to lay on
the couch- in what has become permanently indented with my body imprint. Less than an hour later the nurse called me
back as I was literally choke-gagging down some cottage cheese for lunch. I answered the phone with as much enthusiasm as
I could muster. She said hello and asked
how I was doing. In a typical, no
thought response, I muttered, “I’m okay. Thank you.” To which she completely
called my bluff. Like a mom can sense
when something is wrong with her child.
Nurse Jan- a stranger on the other end of the line, had seen through my
attempt and called me to bear my truth.
I, now choking back tears, said, “Actually, I’m not okay. I’m having a really hard time.” She went onto to listen carefully as I told
her the struggles I’ve been having with trying to get any food down and how my
goal of 3 liters of water a day, sometimes turns out more to be like 40 ounces
total. I said, “It takes like I’m drinking
pennies in my water and I can’t stand the taste anymore. It makes me sick.” An obvious expert at listening to hormonal,
pregnant ladies, she said, “I’m so sorry honey. We are going to get something to
help you.” I wanted to reach through the
phone and bear hug her like there was no tomorrow. She made me feel like I wasn’t the biggest
failure as a pregnant mother (seriously I felt like I’m already failing the
child and I haven’t even given birth to) and that it was okay I was asking for
something to help feel better. She said
she’d call in a prescription and walked me through the instructions of when to
take it. I asked her if the medicine
could harm the baby and she reassured me it is completely safe.
Three hours later, as I pulled into Walgreens, I couldn’t
wait to get home, until bed to take the medicine with the hopes of finding some
relief. That night when the time came, I
took my two pills (which by the way are super cute- they have a picture of a
pink pregnant belly on them). I drank an entire huge glass of water and let
my head hit the pillow. It was 7:34
p.m. That night, despite getting up 6
times to pee, I slept the entire night, only to wake up the next morning
feeling human once again. While I didn’t
feel wonderful, I felt human, and that my friends was a MAJOR improvement. For the first time since February 8, I slept
through the night and didn’t lie awake in pain, holding my stomach, from the
hours of 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. A MAJOR
improvement indeed.
In other exciting news, I have a bulge. Before you get too excited, let me
clarify. It isn’t a baby bulge. It’s a bloated, unattractive and totally NOT
cute bulge. I understand with pregnancy
one’s digestive track slows down considerably to allow the body to harvest the nutrients
out of the food before the body expels it.
While great news for the growing fetus, it is crappy news (or lack thereof
literally) for the host. How do you like
that, I’ve started calling myself a host.
Kind of like a leach clings onto its host to suck the blood from, the
fetus inside of me is sucking out the nutrients and leaving the waste
behind. Yet another wonderful thing
about pregnancy. Is that where the glow
comes from? NOT! Thankfully I’ve expanded my diet to include
prunes- they work wonders and as long as I pretend I’m eating a squishy grape,
I can get them down without throwing up.
I’ve learned to appreciate going to the bathroom more than ever.
One more comment about that before I step off of this soap
box…. This whole process is a catch 22.
See the only way from keeping myself from tossing the contents of my
stomach or at least dry-retching them over and over, is by keeping it from
getting empty. This means you have to
eat regularly and so far carbs seem to be about the only thing that will make
it down. Like loading a clothes washer,
you can only load so many clothes before the machine starts vibrating across
the floor with a beeping noise of being unbalanced. I’m completely unbalanced and it doesn’t feel
good. I’m stepping down now.
In an effort to try and turn this crabby train around I’m
going to attempt to do what other beautifully pregnant bloggers do and share
highlights. Here is my attempt….
How far along are you? 9
weeks
How I’m feeling?
Think I’ve been pretty clear on that front.
Total weight gain…
Not sure… think I’m down 2 pounds from the scale I have at home, but
feel like I’m full of at least 5 pounds of bloat
How big is baby? The size of a grape.
Maternity clothes…
Nope. I’m planning my attempt to
do this wardrobe thing on the cheap---- many of my friends are done having babies,
thus they’ve passed along their maternity clothes. So I’m brainstorming thrift stores, with half
off days, to shop at when the time comes.
Additionally, I’m tagging those clothes in my closet which can serve as
maternity shirts too.
Sleep… FINALLY, with
the help of those pretty little belly pills.
Best moment this week… Seeing just how happy and excited
Jarrett is about this news. He is so
thrilled. Oh and he continues to tell me
I’m beautiful, although I won’t let him come closer than 100 feet to me.
Movement… Just the
gas rolling around inside
Food cravings… NONE, wouldn't eat at all if I didn't have
to.
Food aversions… EVERYTHING.
Belly button in or out… In
What I miss… Feeling good and going for a run.
What I’m looking forward to… Getting through the first
trimester, being able to tell people and to (Pray to God) feeling better.
Milestones…. We have to decide about which of the many
genetic tests we want to do. I’m “advanced
maternal age” for cripes sake.
Until next time,
Angie
I really appreciate your honesty about your pregnancy! It would be easy to just pretend everything is sunshine and roses, but that isn't your reality right now. You may have prayed for this, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with the symptoms that you're dealing with. I can only imagine the conflicting feelings that you are experiencing. I hope that you start to feel good very soon, so that you can enjoy this time! Hugs!
ReplyDelete