Monday, August 8, 2016

13 years ago...

Thirteen years ago we stood at the alter of the church where your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents said their vows and we began a new life together as we exchanged our "I do's" 

While our lives a husband and wife started on that day, the journey of us had started many years ago.  Looking back now I see that we were babies.  Fifteen and sixteen year olds with a dream in our eyes, not a fear of what was ahead and the love in each other that could move mountains.

And as I look back on the years we've shared together, I'd say we have moved a few mountains.  We've been through some amazing highs (getting married, becoming parents, seeing the world and our dreams come true).  And while the highs have far out numbered the lows, we've seen some lows too.  We've faced them together, arm in arm together and carried each other through when one was too weak to walk for ourselves. Through challenges of cancer diagnosis and treatments, infertility and crushed hopes, and most devastating the loss of our precious son... the lows have been very difficult, but we've made it through and they have taught me that no matter what we are stronger together and can overcome anything as long as we have each other.

This year our anniversary is special not only because of the love we feel for each other, but because of the life we've built together.  Looking back as those babies in high school, so innocent and wet-behind-the-ears, I always dreamed of forever with you, but never realized just how great my happily-ever-after would be.

Jarrett, on our 13th anniversary, I am so thankful for the life that we lead.  Its a crazy one, busier than I expected or planned, hectic more days than not, and some (me) may say stressful.  But its a life I love and wouldn't trade anything for.  Thirteen years ago tomorrow night we danced our first dance to the song, "What a wonderful world".

On that night I felt that Loius Armstrong's song perfectly described the way I viewed our life together.  But now tonight as I think of the lyrics of that song, I can't help but think it still applies perfectly today.


Thirteen years ago I held your hand and said "I do".  I give thanks for each day we have together and I pray that many years down the road, when the kids are grown and gone and we've become grandparents or even great-grandparents, that we can still hold hands and feel the same amount of love.

When I was pregnant with Madelyn and went to one of my doctors appointments, I saw this couple walking together hand-in-hand and all I could think of was you and how someday, that could be us.


  I love you and look forward to growing old together, until then we'll celebrate each day we get.

Happy Anniversary.

Love always,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment