Monday, August 15, 2016

Prayers for a friend...

Things happen in this world that often make no sense.  I've lived through several things in my life that I'll never understand why they had to happen.  The most painful times in my life, no justified answers or understanding of why.

Tonight I sit in my bed and read the blog of my friend and ask myself why?

Amy and I have been childhood friends from the beginning.  Literally she was born one year to the day after I was.  Our parents friends, we grew up together.  From birthday parties to high school teammates on state winning track teams.  Amy and I grew up together.  She was my personal attendant for my wedding and I was in her wedding.

A great person through and through.  She went to school to become a teacher, a math teacher and even though life took us in different directions... us to Arizona, she and her family in Maine, then back to Iowa, each year on May 29th, no matter how long it had been since we talked, we'd text each other, sending birthday greetings and well wishes.  Just like that, it was as if we had just talked the day before.



And that's just one reason why this news is so hard to take.  Amy is not only a great teacher, but she is a wife, a daughter, a sister and a mother... to three beautiful children, her oldest about Gabriel's age and her youngest not even a year old.  Its just not fair.  Its just not right, I said in my text to her tonight.  And while I'm sure the question in her mind is "Why?" I tried delicately to say, we will never find an acceptable reason for why.  Instead we must find a way to accept it, and to seek hope, find faith and unwavering determination to put one foot in front of the other and walk the journey no one should have to take.

My friend Amy was diagnosed, at the young age of 35, today with stage four breast cancer.  The words that it had spread to the bone in three places... words no one ever wants to hear.  Amy has been documenting her journey via her blog and is asking for prayers as she begins the fight of her life.  She believes in prayer and I do too.

That is why friends, I ask for your help.  Please join me in sending thoughts, prayers and well wishes to her.  She could use every and all prayers as she begins the scariest and hardest journey of her life.  No one deserves this.  No one can be prepared to hear those words... its cancer.  It isn't fair, is isn't the way her life should have to unfold.  But this is the reality she, her family and those that love her face today. So please join me in holding them in your thoughts, your prayers and your wishes for health and healing.

I told her tonight that prayers are more powerful than any diagnosis or prognosis.  I've witnessed the power of prayer first handed as well.  And I know that prayer can move mountains and make miracles a reality.  Amy can use all the love and prayers she can get.

Thank you for thinking of her and for cheering her on with the rest of us.

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment